Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-11-2013, 06:02   #16

Boat: 1972 Columbia 30'
Re: Tips for the getting this #*&% stuff off?

Thanks so much for all the tips everyone! I missed half these comments, but yes, it was mostly super tacky-- there were some spots that had something different. We did a good long soak in denatured alcohol which took away the sticky and made it easier to work with.

This weekend we learned a lot of lessons about deadlights, removing them, taking them apart, and reinstalling them. A couple of things made us curse more than others:
1. Ancient splines covered in ancient epoxy.
2. Mark all deadlight pieces for each window. Holy crap... we failed to do this and are now stuck with a bunch of covers with mismatched drill holes. Hahahaha :cries:
3. Don't allow a leather work glove to get damp with alcohol and leave it on your hand while you work. My left hand is going to be stained yellow for a few more days.
4. Probably the best way to do it would have been to pull them out one at a time. We pulled them all out in a crazy winging sort of fashion and then had just this weekend to get them all back in. Factor in short November days.

So we got them in and sealed up, although the interior plate issue is going to be a problem. New holes I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0534.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	70660   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0539.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	70661  

Old 18-11-2013, 06:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywizard View Post
1. Ancient splines covered in ancient epoxy.
What do you mean by 'spline' in this context, please?

-oh, and I'd take a minute and try to match up the plates. There may be some distortion in the portlight frame that will not match up, never mind the screw holes, and I'd bet the portlight might leak.

thanks for sharing - I'm about to do the same thing and you have reinforced my notion to do this one opening at a time

Old 18-11-2013, 06:31   #18

Perhaps gasket is the right word?

It looks like this and hugs the edge of the glass/acrylic before being inserted into the exterior frame.
http://static.hardwarestore.com/medi...8_front200.jpg

It's a little late for the plate matching. Basically we were in a rush to pull apart the exterior aluminum frame pieces from the glass/acrylic and didn't mark them. So when we put them back together they were all different from the frames. So basically none of the frames match the windows.
Old 18-11-2013, 07:06   #19

I think that is indeed a 'gasket,' thanks. I'm now wondering why a flexible seal like that would have epoxy on it.

good luck
Old 18-11-2013, 07:38   #20

Haha, we have a lot of questions for the late previous owner, but it's possible that it was a more flexible sealant that's been pounded with brackish Chesapeake water for 40 years. It looked a lot like dried up old epoxy though!

We comforted ourselves that we learned an awful lot over the weekend, even though frustrations kept popping up everywhere and a lot of "If we were just richer we could just replace everything!" haha. My dad would say "Sweat equity!".
Old 18-11-2013, 07:43   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tami,

When we do this sort of job, we mark the items after they're cleaned: P/S, which number in the series going from fwd to aft, and the item also as to f/a end. Jim also uses "strike up marks" for alignment often.

Ann
Old 18-11-2013, 07:47   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Lucky,

I'm sorry you all have had such a rough time of it. These sorts of learning experiences happen to all of us, and sometimes we feel embarrassed by the, but ultimately, it's all grist for the mill, and today's misfortune becomes tomorrow's adventure over evening libations.

Cheers, mate,

Ann
Old 18-11-2013, 07:50   #23
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Wait til you get around to removing a 27 year old holding tank and all assorted hoses, pumps, and vents. That's how I spent my weekend.
The experience has left me dazed, shaken, disoriented and fearing for my sanity. I think my nose hairs turned gray overnight.

I would trade jobs with you.
Old 18-11-2013, 08:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Wait til you get around to removing a 27 year old holding tank and all assorted hoses, pumps, and vents. That's how I spent my weekend.
The experience has left me dazed, shaken, disoriented and fearing for my sanity. I think my nose hairs turned gray overnight.

I would trade jobs with you.
This is one reason why I decided to throw it all out and get a C-head. I am SOOO happy I did.
Old 18-11-2013, 08:21   #25
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, we read the pros and cons of composting toilets, and the logic of it all was so overwhelming that we ordered a Nature's Head last week, and this is the reason we just ripped all that stuff out. This boat came with two Baby Blake toilets. That between them need about what the NH is worth, in parts. When I saw the thread title here, that's the " #*&% stuff " that I thought the OP was referring to.

I read a lot of opinions from people who don't like the idea of composting. Squeamish, silly, shallow people. Probably shouldn't be on a boat to begin with. Well, whether you like that idea or not, I am pretty sure that if you ever get hands-on involved in removing an ancient holding tank from an older boat, you will get to the point where you never want to share your living space with one of these setups again. I still shudder. I will spare you the details. The horror.........the horror....
Old 18-11-2013, 08:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I read a lot of opinions from people who don't like the idea of composting. Squeamish, silly, shallow people. Probably shouldn't be on a boat to begin with.
That's a bit harsh. Many boats cannot fit one in the space available, and some boats only have a single head and 6 people on board. Just because the application doesn't fit their needs doesn't mean they can be described like you did.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:31   #27
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lighten up, Francis.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:29   #28

Quote:
Well, we read the pros and cons of composting toilets, and the logic of it all was so overwhelming that we ordered a Nature's Head last week, and this is the reason we just ripped all that stuff out. This boat came with two Baby Blake toilets. That between them need about what the NH is worth, in parts. When I saw the thread title here, that's the " #*&% stuff " that I thought the OP was referring to.

I read a lot of opinions from people who don't like the idea of composting. Squeamish, silly, shallow people. Probably shouldn't be on a boat to begin with. Well, whether you like that idea or not, I am pretty sure that if you ever get hands-on involved in removing an ancient holding tank from an older boat, you will get to the point where you never want to share your living space with one of these setups again. I still shudder. I will spare you the details. The horror.........the horror....
Haha, that is pretty hardcore, but if anything, dear bf and I are learning that we'll try anything at least once! We also need to keep in mind how much of a pandora's box each project is going to be. It would help if it wasn't a one hour commute to the boat.
Old 18-11-2013, 11:14   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
MSDS of Anti-Bond 2015 it contains:
Dipropylene glycol methl ether acetate 60-70%
Terpenes 5-10%
Terpenes 1-3%
Nonionic Surfactant 5-10%

Dow manufactures and markets DPM
Process – DPM is produced by the reaction of propylene oxide with methanol using a
catalyst as shown below.
H2C CH
O
CH3
Propylene
oxide
2 + CH3OH CH3O CH2
CHO
CH3
CH2CHOH
CH3
Methanol Dipropylene glycol methyl ether
Product Description7,8,9
Dipropylene glycol monomethyl ether (DPM) is a clear, colorless, combustible liquid with a slight
ether odor. It is completely soluble in water, and has moderate volatility. DPM is a propylene
oxide-based, or P-series, glycol ether. It is a mixture of the four structural isomers shown below:
Isomer Content
1-(2-methoxypropoxy)propanol-2 40–50%
1-(2-methoxy-1-methylethoxy)propanol-1 40–50%
2-(2-methoxypropoxy)propanol-1 2–5%
2-(2-methoxy-1-methylethoxy)propanol-1 3–5%

The name "terpene" is derived from the word "turpentine"
So add a little anti freeze to my solution.

Anti-Bond is $17.00 for a 1.5 ounce.

My solution is about $1.50 for 1.5 ounce.

And it works better than Anti-Bond.

Lloyd
Old 18-11-2013, 17:14   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
So add a little anti freeze to my solution.

Anti-Bond is $17.00 for a 1.5 ounce.

My solution is about $1.50 for 1.5 ounce.

And it works better than Anti-Bond.

Lloyd

Lol. Dipropylene glycol methyl ether acetate is not the same thing as propylene glycol. At all. Note as well the two different kinds of unspecified "terpenes". You can't make this stuff in your bathtub. A $17 bottle of AB (and that price is high) often lasts our pro shop a year. A little goes a very long way. Nice to have it in an aerosol can too, really helps to spray it into cracks. You can waste your time making lame imitations, or just shell out a little for a product a major company had scientists who know what they are doing design. If it takes me half an hour to fart around making my own, I have to bill over $50 for that. Much cheaper to order up. Time is money.

PS-Don't see any denatured as you claimed in there. Sure you've ever even used the stuff?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: