Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2010, 18:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Tipping the Yard Crew ?

I've never heard of this one before, but my old neighbor said he's seen people tip the guys in the yard I'm at now...and he'd never heard of it before then either. But now he tips them whenever he hauls out?

Is this normal practice?
How much should you give?
Or is it dependent on what they do?

For example, just hauling, blocking, and launching, but you're doing all your own work do you still tip?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 18:41   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
I have no idea how much to tip, but when I leave my boat in Trinidad, I drop off 24 beer at their workshack the end of the last day I am there. I also often push $20 into the hand of the lift operator. If he has to move my boat around the yard and I'm not there, I just hope he's thinking warm thoughts about me. I also tip the yard worker who takes me to the airport, and ask him to drop by the boat from time to time to check on the air conditioner that is required, and to ensure the grease around the blocking remains continuous to stop the little creatures from crawling up.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 23:14   #3
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
I've been a tipper for a long time. If you take care of the folks you've entrusted you yacht to, then it will be one of the first yachts they look out for when necessary. They'll notice your pumps running more frequently and give you a call rather, then wait until the yard forman tells them to go abaord and see why your boat has settled below it's boot. It's just common sense to take care of these people. I also drop off beer, but more often I'll show up early on a Saturday morning with coffee and donuts for the guys still puttering around the shop. Little stuff like this will make them take notice and special care, like say if one of your deck covers loses a gromet and starts flapping in a building wind storm. This happened to me last winter and I got a call saying nothing to worry about, as a yard guy tied a bungee cord to the flailing corner, but it needs attention the next time I'm out.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 23:20   #4

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I usually make sure the day they pull me out I have cold drinks and at least 20 bucks for each of the guys helping..... whenever I see them working hard on something I go get them a cold drink and make sure you remember what they drink. It goes a long way. Repeat on launch day!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 04:25   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Whats tipping?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:30   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Whats tipping?
It's a method of saying to someone "you are the peasant in this relationship".

Common in cultures that rely on slave wages to underpin their economy. (no names ).

Elsewhere it is mostly called giving charity and therefore is embarrassing / an insult to offer to someone for simply doing their paid employment.

Bringing beer or donuts on the other hand is just known as being very nice - even when done with a (transparently) ulterior motive.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:59   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
When I leave my boat for the summer I donate what beer's left on the boat to the yard guys. Occasionally I'll give an individual a bottle of rum. They do not expect tips but appreciate donations to their after work "beer-thirty" get-togethers.
Old 17-08-2010, 06:04   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Yard Manners

It is interesting to note the differences in yard practice based on location. In my area, at the yard I normally use, dry storage is not a common practice. As such most boats are only out of the water for specific work to be done. The cost of said work.... lets just say, these folks are not peasants.. In fact I was charged so much last time I was up that at the end of the day the yard crew bought me beer. Tipping would seem utter nonsense..... yet sailboat/yadcht owners are deemed to be "cheap".

It might be nicer if one could be certain that the work will be done on the agreed upon schedule to avoid problems with drying out and seams. There is nothing cheap about sinking at the dock after going back in.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:06   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Tipping works......

Having worked as a paid crew member on large yachts, we always tipped.

We realize that the Yard crew are often the lowest paid guys....and do most of the real work.......

Sailors that don't tip....well.......CB's
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 07:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have never heard of tipping yard workers. I always give tips where it is the custom, such as waiters who serve your food. Is this a case of one more profession jumping on the bandwagon of expecting tips now? I'm not necessarily objecting to it, just curious.

The other factor is that the labor rate where I haul is around $100/hour. I realize the yard gets about 2/3 of this. But its still kinda hard to consider a tip when you are paying someone this much per hour. $33/hour is not a huge wage but neither is it a slave wage.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 08:08   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I do not tip yard workers.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:53   #12
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
For a second there I felt guilty, until I see the more experienced guys leading the way with nothing. I will certainly avoid tipping in the future, and I think that leaving beer is insulting if not enabling alcohol problems or accidents.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 09:03   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
For a second there I felt guilty, until I see the more experienced guys leading the way with nothing. I will certainly avoid tipping in the future, and I think that leaving beer is insulting if not enabling alcohol problems or accidents.
I assure you that the yard guys don't feel insulted by beer. In most small yards the guys will get together after work and have a cool one or two.
Old 17-08-2010, 09:11   #14

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
There is a difference in cultures here. Tipping for waiting and bar staff and hiardressers is discretionary and common in the UK but not general trades or employees as its deemed they are earning the going rate anyway.

After the recent problems ive had with my yard, the only guy I will tip is the one employee who has worked consitstantly throughout and done a good job.
Poor guy gets the lowest rate of pay and even has to supply his own safety gear even though under uk and eu law, the employer must provide items such as boots, goggles, ear defenders, dust masks, welding mask, hat etc.
Old 17-08-2010, 09:39   #15
Marine Service Provider

I wouldn't find beer insulting! Regardless of the circumstances a free beer is a free beer...or 3.

Yeah it really does seem to be a cultural thing on this side of the pond. Not even in regards to who people tip, but just everyone expecting tips these days. You used to tip people for service, now you seem to see tip jars everywhere you go. Since when did pressing a few buttons on a cash register call for a tip? Where do you draw the line?

Also, not for nothing but considering what some of these places charge you, they can afford to pay their employees a fair salary, so that they shouldn't expect a tip.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote