Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 21:09   #1

Boat: Custom 55
Time for paint- Europe or the USA?

Hi All,

I'm hoping some of you have some experience that you might be able to share to help us making a choice on where to paint.

We're about ready to renew the Awlgrip on our topsides-not changing the color scheme at all, just sand it and shoot it. We are currently in Narragansett bay, and are finding the estimates from the local yards there to be pretty steep-no, I'm not surprised. I'm sure the quality is great, but we're honestly just looking for a decent job at a good price. (and to have enough money left over to eat afterwards...) We cruise extensively, and the boat sees her share of dings, so a boat show quality job would be wasted on us.

Anyway, we will cross to Europe next summer, and are wondering if anybody has been in any Spanish or Turkish yards and seen some decent work come from that region. We're guessing that Turkey in particular might offer some good value.

Thanks for any insights.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 21:43   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Time for paint- Europe or the USA?

I be in Spain and anything related to boats are expensive, remember euro dollar change rate.

No idea what kind of estimate you get in your location but 150 to 200 $ square feet sounds the norm in many boatyards, if your topsides are in fair condition , no filling or heavy fairing could be cheaper, Spain is expensive , Turkey no idea....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 23:37   #3

Neil,

Thanks for the info. One of us is from the EU, so we understand the exchange rate.

We're certainly not seeing prices quoted at $200 per square foot. That would run over $60,000 for a simple coat of paint. Pass.

Perhaps you meant per linear foot?

All in, we're being quoted about 175 man hours all in plus materials, You know the US labor rates, we were hoping to save a bit on the hourly rate. over there. Time for some more research.

Thanks, TJ
Old 14-10-2014, 00:12   #4

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

Hi there,

I've been told that the best paint jobs are done in the Netherlands - surely expensive, though.

Depending on how much priority this has and if you are willing to change your route from the Med to the Baltic (which could be a welcome new adventure), you could check out Poland or Lithuania, both known to be hard working people for little money. I've been in a boat yard for steel boats near Gdansk last summer, and they seemed very knowledgeable and professional.

Good luck!

Phil
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:56   #5

Phil, that's a great suggestion. We will visit the Scandinavian countries first, so that's not terribly far away. We will look into it.

TJ
Old 25-10-2014, 05:55   #6

Yo TJ,

Glad I could help. Send a message if you come past Tromsø and we can meet up.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 22-11-2014, 04:43   #7

Dear Phil,
My husband and I are leaving for a 5 months sail to the Baltic, starting from the Netherlands. Our 17.50 m. 40 tons steel schooner Zahree needs painting and a rudder repair. Because we plan to leave before the end of April, the weather in Holland at that time not too reliable, we thought of doing that a little later in the season. For example in Poland, Gdansk. You wrote about a shipyard that did good work on your ship. Can you give the name of that shipyard? Thanks!
Tinekehol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 06:04   #8

Dear Phil. ..I hope you were able to get the name of the shipyard near Gdansk. Anybody else knowing shipyards in Poland thar are reliable and know how to paint and repair steel boats. ..Please contact me. ..!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-11-2014, 08:37   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Neil,

Thanks for the info. One of us is from the EU, so we understand the exchange rate.

We're certainly not seeing prices quoted at $200 per square foot. That would run over $60,000 for a simple coat of paint. Pass.

Perhaps you meant per linear foot?

All in, we're being quoted about 175 man hours all in plus materials, You know the US labor rates, we were hoping to save a bit on the hourly rate. over there. Time for some more research.

Thanks, TJ
175 hrs is way too much for a simple maintenance coat. Are you sure they aren't including a primer job in that? Are we talking just hull topsides or decks and house as well? If it's just a maintenance coat on hull topsides, it should me more like two guys one day to prep, two guys one day to mask and shoot, another day for stripes and cleanup, and a fourth day for margin of error/unforeseen problems. That's two guys, four days, or about 64 billable hours. Big difference.

However, if decks are included in that bid, including nonskid, then it's a great deal.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinekehol View Post
Dear Phil. ..I hope you were able to get the name of the shipyard near Gdansk. Anybody else knowing shipyards in Poland thar are reliable and know how to paint and repair steel boats. ..Please contact me. ..!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi Tine,

Thanks for the reminder, but I didn't forget you! I'm working on the contact, you know, it's a friend of a friend, and these guys I know seem not the most organized. Just hang on...

CHeers,
Phil
Old 03-12-2014, 04:09   #11

Dear Phil,
Thanks a lot! I don´t want to hurry you....
Old 03-12-2014, 06:27   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Spain is definitely expensive. Spain is mostly low quality too.

If you want quality, you will go to Catalunya (Barcelona) which is twice as expensive but probably twice the skill and attention too ... they are half French, in fact.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, paint, rope