Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 00:59   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Tilting Boat

I suspect my new boat, Top Hat 25, is not sitting level but I am not sure why. The photo has nothing to do with the problem , I put it in because I have no pics of the actual problem. I suspect the boat has a lean since I noticed some water stays in the sink towards the back. Then I noticed the cockpit locker drain channels do not fully drain out, some water stays in the back. In heavy rain water leaks into the locker. So sink and locker channel indicate that the port side is lower. The levels of water are noticeable so I think the tilt is significant.

When the boat is anchored and the water is dead flat, I think I can see some lean across the transom. But that could be imagination.

The mast was refurbished by the PO and so I am wondering if it is not properly square on the boat. What do you think? What should I do?

troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 01:30   #2

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers
Re: Tilting boat

sit on the other side of the boat.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 01:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you could try a plumb line from the aft center of the mast step and see where it hangs in relation to the bilge center
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 01:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline View Post
sit on the other side of the boat.
Haha. At first I thought it was because the spare fuel tanks and spare water containers were on that side but when they were empty and I had extra water on the other side, the problem was still there.

Oh hang on. When I am on the port side it tilts that way and when I am on the other side it tilts to that side. Just because I weight 200 kg it should not be doing that, should it? Nah, joking. The problem is always the port side is lower and I have taken into consideration the moveable weight.
Old 16-05-2012, 01:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you could try a plumb line from the aft center of the mast step and see where it hangs in relation to the bilge center
Okay, I will do that. Hmm, what about a plumb line on the mast? Would that be another option?
Old 16-05-2012, 01:58   #6

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Very glad you took my comment in the joking manner intended.

Plumb line is a good idea however I would do it only after I hauled out and had leveled the boat on stands first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Haha. At first I thought it was because the spare
fuel tanks and spare water containers were on that side but when they were empty and I had extra water on the other side, the problem was still there.

Oh hang on. When I am on the port side it tilts that way and when I am on the other side it tilts to that side. Just because I weight 200 kg it should not be doing that, should it? Nah, joking. The problem is always the port side is lower and I have taken into consideration the moveable weight.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Okay, I will do that. Hmm, what about a plumb line on the mast? Would that be another option?
you could try that from the top if you can get it centered.

you also might want to be stern too on a pontoon so you can trim the hull level,and have a reference point.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:48   #8
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

You can use your main halyard to haul a long measuring tape to the top of your mast and then take it to your port and startboard chanplates and see of your mast is centered. If you cant find a long tape then just use the halyard itself - just make sure you put equal tension on the halyard when you are measuring as they are a bit stretchy.

Once you know the top of the mast is centered you can them use it with a plump bob to see if the boat is sitting level.

Should be able to do this in less than 10 minutes and without taking your boat out of the water.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:32   #9

Boat: contessa 32

You already have your answer without a plumb line. Where the water pools tells in what direction the boat is trimed.Make observations while standing over center line.Restow heavier objects as necessary but keep them low.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:37   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

First plumb your mast port and starboard. No need for a measuring tape. Just take your main halyard from one side toerail at the chainplate and mark it. Then, take it to the other side and compare. Adjust your turnbuckles to plumb your mast. Next use your main halyard as a plumb line if you like. It's hard to do in the water because as you move from side to side your plumb line will also move. You have to remain centered to the boat.
kind regards,
Old 16-05-2012, 12:25   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I suspect my new boat, Top Hat 25, is not sitting level but I am not sure why. The photo has nothing to do with the problem , I put it in because I have no pics of the actual problem. I suspect the boat has a lean since I noticed some water stays in the sink towards the back. Then I noticed the cockpit locker drain channels do not fully drain out, some water stays in the back. In heavy rain water leaks into the locker. So sink and locker channel indicate that the port side is lower. The levels of water are noticeable so I think the tilt is significant.

When the boat is anchored and the water is dead flat, I think I can see some lean across the transom. But that could be imagination.

The mast was refurbished by the PO and so I am wondering if it is not properly square on the boat. What do you think? What should I do?

My boat lists about 2 1/2 degrees to starboard. It's very clear when it's in its slip. We can find no cause, and likewise, no cause for concern. It isn't based on whether the fuel tank (starboard) or water tank (port) is full or empty, nor where people are seated. It's just a peculiarity of my boat.

Every time a new boat moves into the marina, a couple of days later the office gets a frantic phone call that Raku's boat may be sinking. They've come to expect it.

Boat sails extremely well on both tacks, so I don't worry about it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 13:34   #12

with boats that small you can change the trim by simply moving YOURSELF...

For a more permanent change move some stuff from the low side to the high side...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 15:02   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post

For a more permanent change move some stuff from the low side to the high side...
My boat weighs about 10,500, and moving a few things made no difference. Trust me.
Old 16-05-2012, 15:03   #14
cruiser

Re: Tilting Boat

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates

My boat weighs about 10,500, and moving a few things made no difference. Trust me. "

PS -- the majority of my storage is in the aft quarter berth -- high side of the boat.
Old 16-05-2012, 17:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

My boat lists about 2 1/2 degrees to starboard. It's very clear when it's in its slip. We can find no cause, and likewise, no cause for concern. It isn't based on whether the fuel tank (starboard) or water tank (port) is full or empty, nor where people are seated. It's just a peculiarity of my boat.

Every time a new boat moves into the marina, a couple of days later the office gets a frantic phone call that Raku's boat may be sinking. They've come to expect it.

Boat sails extremely well on both tacks, so I don't worry about it.
If I really wanted to get after this I would remove everything from the boat that is not nailed down. I would then stick a bubble level on the transom, the longer the level the better.

I would then evaluate what isn't removed and where it is located. Galley on one side? What does the galley cabinetry weigh? Battery location? Mast straight?

If everything check out good I would make a mental note one how I prefer to load the boat.

One my small boat crew position is way more important than basic boat trim. And don't think it doesn't matter on bigger boats either. I've seen 47 footers in races butt down cuz 8 people are in the cockpit.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote