Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 01:59   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Boat: No boat, looking again.
Posts: 346
Tilting Boat

I suspect my new boat, Top Hat 25, is not sitting level but I am not sure why. The photo has nothing to do with the problem , I put it in because I have no pics of the actual problem. I suspect the boat has a lean since I noticed some water stays in the sink towards the back. Then I noticed the cockpit locker drain channels do not fully drain out, some water stays in the back. In heavy rain water leaks into the locker. So sink and locker channel indicate that the port side is lower. The levels of water are noticeable so I think the tilt is significant.

When the boat is anchored and the water is dead flat, I think I can see some lean across the transom. But that could be imagination.

The mast was refurbished by the PO and so I am wondering if it is not properly square on the boat. What do you think? What should I do?



__________________

__________________
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:30   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Boat: Gibson 50'
Posts: 295
Re: Tilting boat

sit on the other side of the boat.
__________________

__________________
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:35   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Tilting boat

you could try a plumb line from the aft center of the mast step and see where it hangs in relation to the bilge center
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:54   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Boat: No boat, looking again.
Posts: 346
Re: Tilting boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline View Post
sit on the other side of the boat.
Haha. At first I thought it was because the spare fuel tanks and spare water containers were on that side but when they were empty and I had extra water on the other side, the problem was still there.

Oh hang on. When I am on the port side it tilts that way and when I am on the other side it tilts to that side. Just because I weight 200 kg it should not be doing that, should it? Nah, joking. The problem is always the port side is lower and I have taken into consideration the moveable weight.
__________________
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:55   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Boat: No boat, looking again.
Posts: 346
Re: Tilting boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you could try a plumb line from the aft center of the mast step and see where it hangs in relation to the bilge center
Okay, I will do that. Hmm, what about a plumb line on the mast? Would that be another option?
__________________
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 02:58   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Boat: Gibson 50'
Posts: 295
Re: Tilting boat

Very glad you took my comment in the joking manner intended.

Plumb line is a good idea however I would do it only after I hauled out and had leveled the boat on stands first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Haha. At first I thought it was because the spare
fuel tanks and spare water containers were on that side but when they were empty and I had extra water on the other side, the problem was still there.

Oh hang on. When I am on the port side it tilts that way and when I am on the other side it tilts to that side. Just because I weight 200 kg it should not be doing that, should it? Nah, joking. The problem is always the port side is lower and I have taken into consideration the moveable weight.
__________________
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 03:01   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Tilting boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Okay, I will do that. Hmm, what about a plumb line on the mast? Would that be another option?
you could try that from the top if you can get it centered.

you also might want to be stern too on a pontoon so you can trim the hull level,and have a reference point.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 03:48   #8
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Re: Tilting boat

You can use your main halyard to haul a long measuring tape to the top of your mast and then take it to your port and startboard chanplates and see of your mast is centered. If you cant find a long tape then just use the halyard itself - just make sure you put equal tension on the halyard when you are measuring as they are a bit stretchy.

Once you know the top of the mast is centered you can them use it with a plump bob to see if the boat is sitting level.

Should be able to do this in less than 10 minutes and without taking your boat out of the water.
__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 06:32   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hudson Valley N.Y.
Boat: contessa 32
Posts: 826
Re: Tilting boat

You already have your answer without a plumb line. Where the water pools tells in what direction the boat is trimed.Make observations while standing over center line.Restow heavier objects as necessary but keep them low.
__________________
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 12:37   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Tilting boat

First plumb your mast port and starboard. No need for a measuring tape. Just take your main halyard from one side toerail at the chainplate and mark it. Then, take it to the other side and compare. Adjust your turnbuckles to plumb your mast. Next use your main halyard as a plumb line if you like. It's hard to do in the water because as you move from side to side your plumb line will also move. You have to remain centered to the boat.
kind regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 13:25   #11
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Tilting boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
I suspect my new boat, Top Hat 25, is not sitting level but I am not sure why. The photo has nothing to do with the problem , I put it in because I have no pics of the actual problem. I suspect the boat has a lean since I noticed some water stays in the sink towards the back. Then I noticed the cockpit locker drain channels do not fully drain out, some water stays in the back. In heavy rain water leaks into the locker. So sink and locker channel indicate that the port side is lower. The levels of water are noticeable so I think the tilt is significant.

When the boat is anchored and the water is dead flat, I think I can see some lean across the transom. But that could be imagination.

The mast was refurbished by the PO and so I am wondering if it is not properly square on the boat. What do you think? What should I do?




My boat lists about 2 1/2 degrees to starboard. It's very clear when it's in its slip. We can find no cause, and likewise, no cause for concern. It isn't based on whether the fuel tank (starboard) or water tank (port) is full or empty, nor where people are seated. It's just a peculiarity of my boat.

Every time a new boat moves into the marina, a couple of days later the office gets a frantic phone call that Raku's boat may be sinking. They've come to expect it.

Boat sails extremely well on both tacks, so I don't worry about it.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 14:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,594
Re: Tilting boat

with boats that small you can change the trim by simply moving YOURSELF...

For a more permanent change move some stuff from the low side to the high side...
__________________
Randy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 16:02   #13
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Tilting boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
with boats that small you can change the trim by simply moving YOURSELF...

For a more permanent change move some stuff from the low side to the high side...
My boat weighs about 10,500, and moving a few things made no difference. Trust me.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 16:03   #14
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Tilting Boat

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
with boats that small you can change the trim by simply moving YOURSELF...

For a more permanent change move some stuff from the low side to the high side...


My boat weighs about 10,500, and moving a few things made no difference. Trust me. "


PS -- the majority of my storage is in the aft quarter berth -- high side of the boat.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 18:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

My boat lists about 2 1/2 degrees to starboard. It's very clear when it's in its slip. We can find no cause, and likewise, no cause for concern. It isn't based on whether the fuel tank (starboard) or water tank (port) is full or empty, nor where people are seated. It's just a peculiarity of my boat.

Every time a new boat moves into the marina, a couple of days later the office gets a frantic phone call that Raku's boat may be sinking. They've come to expect it.

Boat sails extremely well on both tacks, so I don't worry about it.
If I really wanted to get after this I would remove everything from the boat that is not nailed down. I would then stick a bubble level on the transom, the longer the level the better.

I would then evaluate what isn't removed and where it is located. Galley on one side? What does the galley cabinetry weigh? Battery location? Mast straight?

If everything check out good I would make a mental note one how I prefer to load the boat.

One my small boat crew position is way more important than basic boat trim. And don't think it doesn't matter on bigger boats either. I've seen 47 footers in races butt down cuz 8 people are in the cockpit.
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.