Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:12   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Tiller Problem

So do what you have to do but give us some feedback on what the problem really is?? If you don't want our help, continue to keep us in the dark. We can't help it if you are a closet wheel lover. We're just trying to keep you from straying to the dark side.

If the rudder stock is fitted inside a glassed in tube between hull and cabin sole, is that what is cracked??? If that's the way your rudder stock is setup, you are going to have to cut off the tube and fit a water proof seal at the hull to fit a quadrant.

A windex is about a $1,000 cheaper than an electronic windpoint and works better. If you are short of bucks, an electronic wind point/speed but would be the last thing that I'd put on the boat. A knot meter/log and depth sounder are nice to have especially if you navigate the old fashioned way using DR. A GPS Plotter or iPad with a Nav Program and chart software will give you the mean water depth and boat speed. Not buying the instruments now would be a big savings since you wouldn't have to haul the boat to install the transducers and are not must haves to deliver the boat to its new home.

Don't get mad at us if you are a closet wheel lover.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:38   #17

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Tiller Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
So do what you have to do but give us some feedback on what the problem really is?? If you don't want our help, continue to keep us in the dark. We can't help it if you are a closet wheel lover. We're just trying to keep you from straying to the dark side.

If the rudder stock is fitted inside a glassed in tube between hull and cabin sole, is that what is cracked??? If that's the way your rudder stock is setup, you are going to have to cut off the tube and fit a water proof seal at the hull to fit a quadrant.

A windex is about a $1,000 cheaper than an electronic windpoint and works better. If you are short of bucks, an electronic wind point/speed but would be the last thing that I'd put on the boat. A knot meter/log and depth sounder are nice to have especially if you navigate the old fashioned way using DR. A GPS Plotter or iPad with a Nav Program and chart software will give you the mean water depth and boat speed. Not buying the instruments now would be a big savings since you wouldn't have to haul the boat to install the transducers and are not must haves to deliver the boat to its new home.

Don't get mad at us if you are a closet wheel lover.
Thats not the point. The point is, I'm just trying to get some general info based on the info that I have about repairing it. Not having one form or another pushed (either tiller or wheel). I'm fine keeping the tiller (and that is actually my prefered option since I already have a tillerpilot I can use with it). My main concern right now is making sure the boat is safe to sail to New England. Whichever way is going to be more cost efficient for me to do that is what I'm going to do.

As far as instruments go, my current depth sounder is non-operational. Well, it turns on, but it isn't acurate (I hit a sandbar when my depth sounder said I had 9' under the keel). The speed log has never worked and I don't have any wind instruments on board. The current instruments are all Standard-Horizon and are very old. I'm not even sure I can find parts to repair them if I wanted to. I also have to haul the boat anyway to paint the bottom (last done over 3yrs ago) and replace the head. I do have a GPS Chartplotter onboard, but I still want to have a working depth sounder and speedlog, just in case.

As far as what is cracked, the crack is in the deck. It is in a circle around where the tiller comes up out of the deck. I wish I could be more detailed, but I just don't know how else to put it. I'm in Tennessee right now while my boat is in SC, so I can't just run out and snap a picture of it or I would.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote