Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2006, 06:36   #1

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
thruhulls glassed over, how do i fix that?

I just bought a boat where the previous owner glassed over the thru hulls. Any suggestions on the proceedures i should follow?

thanks!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 06:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A little more detail will help.
ie:

1. Do you want to re-commission the glassed over through-hulls?

2a.i Did the P.O. remove the through-hull fittings, and glass over the openings?
2a.ii. If so, do you want to improve the closure, or re-commission the openings for new through-hulls?
or
2.b.i Did the P.O. glass over the actual through-hull fitting installation?
2b.ii. If so, are the fittings flush mounted, or mushroom head style?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 08:31   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Holes in the hull

I am in the proccess of glassing in the holes ( through hull fittings ) in my boat. If there is no need for them I would not make any holes. As few as possible makes sense to me. They create drag, and are a possible source of problems. My T22 has zero holes, the T8.5 too many. The T22 will be getting a knot meter.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 08:41   #4

The thruhulls were removed and the holes glassed over. I would prefer to improve them if I could! It's a Catalina 27. I need to haulout to do this, or is there another way? Thanks!
Old 17-03-2006, 08:43   #5

Now that I have re-read your reply, I realize I didn't make this clear, lol. I want to re-commission the thruhulls! I can't really use the sink or anything right now.
Old 17-03-2006, 08:50   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Buckets

Buckets. A proven practical answer for everything. Make sure you can tell the difference between the one for the dunny and the one for the sink. Plastic sinks that sit on the counter top work hot damm. It is only a short throw from the sink area to the cockpit. Make sure the cockpit drains work. It is raining here so I am testing my new drains.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 11:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Haulout is the only way. Unless you want to get wet. And besides, hanging on to a drill with salt water pouring in can give you a bad hair day.
Use a hole saw of the size you need and it will sink through the glass like butter. Well, butter that's really hard perhaps

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 14:01   #8

exranger

I just purchased a 1973 Catalina 27. And if you want to put the thru-hulls back in. I'd most highly recommend a haul out.

If ya need water or the head to operate. You'll need those thu-hulls!!

Welcome to the Catalina 27 family!!

Hey, where are you located by the way?

Here's some photos of my Catalina 27. It still needs some work done on her. But overall she's in great shape for her age!!

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...00&ppuser=1545

My boat is tied up in Moss Landing, California!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 19:34   #9
Kai Nui

exranger, if the glass work is done well you can add thruhulls anywhere you like. If the glass work is not done well, and you intend to add thruhulls, just use a hole saw, and fair the surface inside and out. You might consider reducing the number of thruhulls from the original number, and consolidating some systems. Not sure I would go the bucket route myself, but It can be done. A little too minimalist even for me, unless you intend to use the boat exclusively for daysailing.
Old 17-03-2006, 19:53   #10

Smile great help!

Thanks for all of the quick and useful help! If anyone else has something that might help me, I would appreciate it. I am still learning, a lot, and appreciate any help you guys would thow my way. I am in the Tampa area, and this boat, is in good shape structurally but needs cosmetic work. It is a 73 dinette version. I am getting it for less than $3,000 though.

I'll be asking for more advice later, but if anyone has some guidance for me, I would love to hear it.

Also, thanks for the pics of the Catalina 27, they were great. You have almost the same boat I do!!! Looking to see how you re-design it!
Old 17-03-2006, 20:00   #11

No problem exranger.

Yeah I'm paying $3,500 for my Catalina 27!! So I know what you're saying!!

Maybe you could post some photos of your boat. That could give all of us some ideas, to help you out more better?

I'm glad that you enjoyed my photos. A decent digital camera does do justice!!

Feel free to send me a private message to me or Kai Nui. We have access to a Catalina 27. So if anything pops up, and you need second opions etc. . We could provide thrm for you.

Also rsn48 is a owner of a Catalina 27 also!!

Here's a interesting link:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...&threadid=3386

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 17-03-2006, 22:13   #12

Thanks again, that was a good thread! Guys like you are one of the main reasons I love sailboats and am getting my little kids into it; good comeraderie and fine people. We all know there are jerks everywhere in life as in boating, but the nice people in sailing are what makes it special in my opinion!

BTW, my part-time job when I am not scheming to get this sailboat ready to go, is as a computer consultant. Done it for many, many years, from high end networking for Fortune 500 to mom and pop stores (which I liked best). So, while it's not your typical sailing skill I offer freely to the board and its users, it might help someone out. If I can ever help you or anyone else here, let me know, glad to do it to contribute!!
Old 17-03-2006, 22:21   #13

Thank you exranger.

I'll keep that in mind.

I'm happy, that you're happy!!