Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2011, 00:20   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
Through-hulls Coronado 25

I have a 60's 25ft Coronado that I have finally hauled out and am working to restore. My biggest problem has been my cockpit drain failing, and my cockpit filling with water during the rainy season. Below deck, the valve for the drain is completely corroded and seized up. Also, the boat came with a head that no longer worked, so I removed it. Only problem is that the waste-out through-hull is a total mess of fiberglass and I wasn't able to cleanly cap or plug it. This is the first boat that I have had and I don't know much about through-hulls, but looking at the ones that are installed on my boat, they seem unique at best. I was under the impression that most through-hulls were backed on both sides and sandwiched the hull, but now that I have a good look at the bottom, they appear to just be pipes that are glassed right into the hull. Right now I have a port-a-potty onboard, and my original intention was to just glass over those through-hulls in an attempt to minimize possible failures, but people have been trying to talk me out of that, saying that it is better not to limit future options.

Basically, I want to make the boat as simple and worry-free as possible, and I don't trust the most of the hardware that is on there at the moment. What should I do? Glass over any unnecessary holes? Should I cut out whatever is going on and then install new through-hulls and just place a closed seacock on any that I am not currently using? Any advice or experience with these boats would be appreciated! Also, any recommended sources for this hardware?

Top right: where the head used to be
Top left: the larger through-hull from the outside
Bottom left: drain directly below the cockpit
Bottom Right: where that drain meets the bottom of the hull
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThroughHullsSmall-1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	27347   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThroughHullsSmall-2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	27348  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ThroughHullsSmall-3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	27349   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThroughHullsSmall-4.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	27350  

harraik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 00:52   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Through-hulls Coronado 25

Those look like domestic plumbing fittings, hence there state. I would not be happy either.

(But just to say that nothing fundamentally wrong with the fibreglass tube approach - albeit I prefer the more traditional (?) bolt on / thru method).

In your shoes I would cut them off (an Angle Grinder is your freind ) and then glass the holes over (lots on the internet about how to do that) so you can start "clean".

For the cockpit drain I would then install a new thru hull (again, lots on the internet) - doesn't have to be in the exact same place, but I would aim for that. As you are happy enough with the Porta Potti I would leave re-installing the thru hulls until you actually want them (the option is still there ). But fundamentally I don't see a problem with having new ones left unconnected and (well!) blanked off.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 01:19   #3

Boat: Coronado 25
Re: Through-hulls Coronado 25

Thank you David--super helpful. That confirms some of what I was thinking. I am a little hesitant to trust my own glass work (since I have only repaired surfboards before) but I will just have to get over that and make it happen. After all, I don't think I can do too much worse than what is on there right now!

What are your thoughts about that whole fiberglass mess that is around the fittings where the head used to be? Should that whole section be cut out and repaired?

Thanks.
harraik is offline   Reply With Quote