Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2011, 16:11   #16
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do not solder high current crimp connectors such as battery lead terminals . It's very difficult not to have partial dry joints and the resulting higher impedance can generate local heating. Invest in a proper high capacity crimp tool or have the terminals professionally crimped on.

I have elucidated my views on tinned wire elsewhere. I don't beleive it's needed except in areas subject to excessive moisture or damp. European boats don't use it in general and I've never seen any significant corrosion. My own is 22 years old and uses untinned wire , no problems.

But to each his own.

Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! -
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:29   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Thoughts on Welding Cable

Welding cable is often neoprene sheathed, whereas Marine (tinned) battery cable often has a PVC coating which is fuel/oil resistant. The tin is an added benefit where corrosion is concerned

Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 16:33   #18

Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Welding cables are designed to be flexible so they are made with small diameter wire which is very prone to corrosion problems. They will handle the current as well as similar sized regular electrical cable till corrosion gets them and it will, eventually. That will increase resistance, heat buildup to the point of becoming a fire hazard.
We have seen that very issue in fresh water. If you're around salt, well multiply by ?

Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
From the perspective of one who was a shipyard steelworker, I'd recommend getting the tinned marine wire. Weld cable will, of course, work but won't last as long. Best of luck with the re-wire job, better you than me!
I'm not putting my name on anything but tinned

Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I am thinking that I will cut back slightly on the wire ends to see if I actually have a corrosion issue going on further up the cable. If the wire still looks like it needs to be replaced I will seek the advice of a credible surveyor.
Please report your findings.
PATRIOTISM is supporting your country all the time AND your Government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:14   #19

Boat: Bluewater Ingrid 38 Ketch- September

Practical Sailor did testing comparing tinned and un-tinned wire. I think its last months issue. They seem to conclude that the real issues are in the crimp/solder/shrinkwrap installation. I'll be buying 4/0 welding cable for my windlass installation.

jrogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: