Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 12:08   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gorgeous work, sailing now! Congratulations!

TaoJones
Old 19-07-2009, 12:18   #17

On my 1975 Peason 39Y, I replaced all the standing and running rigging (upsized stays)mast was rewired and halyards internalled, boom rebuild with internal reef and outhaul lines, all the winches, all the sails including the furler and went with a Doyle stack pack with Tides Track and BattCars, external canvas (dodger/bimini sail covers etc.), the interior cushions, the cockpit cushions, went to mid boom sheeting, lifelines, new spreaders, new lighting (ext and int) and added a solid vang.
Then I replaced the engine (something you don't need to do).

Expensive? Yes! Worth it? Yes!

There is a relatively new Catalina 34 for sale in my marina, "reduced" to $92,500. I have about $25k less than that invested and have twice the boat. Everywhere I go I get stopped and asked about my "beautiful boat" and have had to give many tours
And she sails Great!!

With a new engine already in place I would jump on that Tartan if the price were right. Then again, I am an amateur woodworker and have a full woodworking shop. I bought my boat for $18k. Lots of people looked and walked away. They were asking $35k. I offered $18k as is and walked away with it.

I am leaving on a weeks cruise on the Chesapeake tomorrow, but when I get back if you want any info I'll send it. I have all the detailed invoices from Annapolis Rigging and Spars who did my work.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 13:19   #18

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Sailing now - it may have been more work -but it turned out great from the pictures.
Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 21:24   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Stevens 47 has quoted 360 hours for a 10' section. For a 34' boat I would expect to multiply that by 3 so 1080 hours.

He is rebuilding so he probably had the old furniture to use as templates. Not doing this could double your time so 2160 hours.

He also works 60 hour weeks. This is a very efficient way to work. I was guessing on 20 hour part time weeks, so adjust total time by 1.25.

Total 2700 hours.

My point is that the number of hours in an interior project can out of control. Whether it's 1000 or 3000 hours it's still a lot of time.

Can I rest my case?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 04:18   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42.1
Thanks for the kind words. Here's a couple of the before shots. You might be able to tell why I wanted to change it. It's been 5+ years and 10,000+ miles and we've never regretted the work. Diane especially enjoys the many additional cabinets and the 8 door pantry that covers the compression post.

sailing now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 08:34   #21

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Boracay - Mine was a question of understanding. I lack the depth of experience to dispute the number, and need to understand what it takes (rather than my optimistic assessment). My perspective is warped by work I do around the home - remodelling the kitchen, addition on the house, etc. When we went to raise the roof, I had to hire professionals because:
1. That was bigger than I was willing to undertake
2. I needed it done quickly
3. I could afford to have others do it given 1 & 2.

I doubt I can ever make 2000 hours cost affective from professionals. Presuming the rate is only $50/hr (and I presume that is low?), I would have a 40 year old boat that cost me $100,000 in labor to refinish. If I add $100,000 to what I am spending, I could have much more.

Much to think about.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 08:37   #22

very nice....
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 12:24   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I bought a Westsail Kit, hull, attached deck and rudder, and engine installed. The rigging, aluminum hatches, bowsprit, boomkin, mast, deck work etc. only took a month or so to accomplish. The interior was a year process working full time. I roughed in the interior, did almost all the trim, teak sole, etc, paint, varnish and installation of doors and drawers but contracted out the actual construction of the doors and drawers. The interior is by far the big time consumer in the finishing of a boat.

Love the T34c, would have bought one if I could have found one on the Left Coast. Doubt if totally rebuilding the interior of one would be dollar wise, however. In our case, we had more money in our W32 2 months after we started construction than it would have cost to buy a factory completed boat. That was going directly to all of Westsails suppliers and buying at deep discounts less than Westsail was paying. The value of a T34c is somewhere in the $20's, can you complete the interior and get it in the water for that much or less money??

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 12:53   #24

Yep, built a 31 footer about like you did your Westsail. 2000 hours for the complete interior is about right. Should have worked overtime and bought the boat completed! Actually the boat I would have bought already finished would have cost less.. I would have been sailing instead of having my hands stuck in fiberglass resin! ;>)
Old 20-07-2009, 12:57   #25

Well... if you were going to hire professionals, there are good boat workers that need work all the time usually. Often they will go from one 6 month yacht job to another. The key is finding the right individuals. Likely they can be hired for $25 or less an hour and work for themselves...

Tags
interior