Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 13:34   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: thinkness of hull steel

Thanks for the response. I get the general concepts, I need to dig more into the weeds. Not theory but practical stuff.

BTW...I try to avoid shore power. Can't always do it, but I try. Sometimes, often, I'll just use shore power to charge batteries and then run the inverter. But we really have only our computers that use AC. Switched to all LED lights etc to conserve power. That helps to avoid shore power.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 13:40   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: thinkness of hull steel

Quick story. There was a big ol steel trawler down the dock from us. Nice old couple. Had a leak or two in the hull. I asked about zincs. They said "what's that?" I bought them a couple of zinc fish. A couple of month latter the lady says "What's it mean if they turn white?" But they now sadly hVe bigger problems.

Had a steel house boat come in for a bottom job. When they scrapped the bottom it had HUNDREDS of holes. Absolutely amazing that it floated. No zincs, at least 6" of water in the flat bilge, interior steel never painted, BILGE PUMP DEFUNCT! Yet it was 20 - 30 years old. Still sitting in the yard, it needs a whole new bottom, or a crusher.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, steel