Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 15:17   #976

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: The Yard Guys

A bavaria with bottom paint inside, you sure???
Old 16-12-2014, 15:35   #977

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

You can see actually in this video, that the 80 % of the boat lenght interior hull is covered by furniture and the liner, the hiden hull sides by the furniture are bare fiberglass, but then why cover the glass with something if actually no one notice it or see it, and the grid liner have a clean and good looking surface , then the stern and the bow áreas are separated from the inner moulding and they are White gelcoat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=13m_42QS4uU
Old 16-12-2014, 16:07   #978

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
A bavaria with bottom paint inside, you sure???
Yes I am sure, epoxy bottom two component stuff but I guess you are right. They apply it only on areas where the water can be in contact, meaning the bottom and low sides. It seems that on jeanneau they do it with gelcoat that is waterproof too.
Old 16-12-2014, 16:08   #979

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What do you mean with "fiberglass extensive spots"? You mean that out of those spots the interior of the hull is gelcoat? Never saw gelcoat on the interior of a hull
Flowcoat (gelcoat) finishes on non-living space hull interiors (lockers, bilges, etc) is very common. Probably much more common than epoxy paint - at least all the boats I am familiar with.

However, I don't see any daylight between gelcoat and epoxy paint here - the only purpose is to provide an esthetically smooth surface, with the possible practical reason of making it easier to clean.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-12-2014, 16:37   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Flowcoat (gelcoat) finishes on non-living space hull interiors (lockers, bilges, etc) is very common. Probably much more common than epoxy paint - at least all the boats I am familiar with.

However, I don't see any daylight between gelcoat and epoxy paint here - the only purpose is to provide an esthetically smooth surface, with the possible practical reason of making it easier to clean.

Mark
It can't be that bad. Oyster as well as Hanse uses that to. Maybe Italian/Germans versus French boats. The reason Epoxy is used on areas that can be in contact with water has to do with being impermeable.

Old 16-12-2014, 16:51   #981

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Do those nuts on the keel bolts really have no backing? It looks like they are just the nuts, not even washers. Is there a backing plate underneath the fiber glass that you know of? Resolution is too low to get a great look when magnifying.
Old 16-12-2014, 17:00   #982

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Do those nuts on the keel bolts really have no backing? It looks like they are just the nuts, not even washers. Is there a backing plate underneath the fiber glass that you know of? Resolution is too low to get a great look when magnifying.
Why they should they have washers if they are over a big backing steel plate?
Old 16-12-2014, 17:24   #983
cruiser

Quote:
Did you really just ask that question?

Yard Guy - clean up on aisle 5.
Old 16-12-2014, 17:37   #984

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Why they should they have washers if they are over a big backing steel plate?
That was my question. It was not obvious from the photo, it looked like there was just fiberglass there.
Old 16-12-2014, 17:40   #985

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Did you really just ask that question?

Yard Guy - clean up on aisle 5.
Says the guy who doesn't recognize a bottom job prep? Or answered if his boat ever had one done, or if he has been in a yard to see them prep other boats.

Telling by the silence, but has lots to comment on other issues.
Old 16-12-2014, 18:02   #986
cruiser

Quote:
Says the guy who doesn't recognize a bottom job prep? Or answered if his boat ever had one done, or if he has been in a yard to see them prep other boats.

Telling by the silence, but has lots to comment on other issues.
You seem obsessed. That's not healthy.

As I said earlier, I recognize the prep in those photos. And yes I've seen it before. The question - always - is what is underneath the primer/filler "prep" - and why was it needed? Pinguino got this. But you wouldn't be interested.
Old 16-12-2014, 18:44   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

As I said earlier, I recognize the prep in those photos. And yes I've seen it before. The question - always - is what is underneath the primer/filler "prep" - and why was it needed? Pinguino got this. But you wouldn't be interested.
I don't understand what that is all about: There are many old Swans that the owners, or new owners decided to refit. Any old boat needs work from time to time. Why do you find need to post photos about that? On the marina where I picked up my boat they run a business recovering and maintaining old Swans. Plenty of work, the shipyard has more work with them then with any other boats (they are more and older). It is expensive to maintain an old top boat in pristine condition, good business for the cantieri

I don't understand also why some of the guys that like old shoes like Swans. Swans were never old shoes but top performance cruiser racers on their own time and that's because they were very advanced designs on their time that they still have today a performance identical to contemporary mass production sailboats, size by size. I like Swans as I like old sports cars, what I don't get it is why someone that likes Swans does not like today's Swans, the boats that today are what Swans were in the past (including modern Swans) boats like these ones:
Old 16-12-2014, 18:49   #988
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I don't understand what that is all about: There are many old Swans that the owners, or new owners decided to refit. Any old boat needs work from time to time. Why do you find need to post photos about that? On the marina where I picked up my boat they run a business recovering and maintaining old Swans. Plenty of work, the shipyard has more work with them then with any other boats (they are more and older). It is expensive to maintain an old top boat in pristine condition, good business for the cantieri

I don't understand also why some of the guys that like old shoes like Swans. Swans were never old shoes but top performance cruiser racers on their own time and that's because they were very advanced designs on their time that they still have today a performance identical to contemporary mass production sailboats, size by size. I like Swans as I like old sports cars, what I don't get it is why someone that likes Swans does not like today's Swans, the boats that today are what Swans were in the past (including modern Swans) boats like these ones:

Did you know the N52 began life as the Swan 53, before Nautor sold the molds to Nauticat and S&S redesigned the boat for Nauticat (it was originally their design for Swan)?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 16-12-2014, 18:51   #989

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Talking Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:

I don't understand also why some of the guys that like old shoes like Swans. Swans were never old shoes but top performance cruiser racers on their own time and that's because they were very advanced designs on their time that they still have today a performance identical to contemporary mass production sailboats, size by size. I like Swans as I like old sports cars, what I don't get it is why someone that likes Swans does not like today's Swans, the boats that today are what Swans were in the past (including modern Swans) boats like this one:
Because we all have different tastes. Some (me included) prefer the traditional. Perhaps that is why I buy ( and sometimes sell) antique furniture; I like the quality and what it represents.

You like modern. I look at that interiour and think, "How austere and sterile, with no character", you see modernity and like it. As far as taste goes, neither one is wrong, just different.

You know what they say about different strokes for different folks. BTW, newer boats need maintenance also. Or do you expect to trade them in every 5 years?
Old 16-12-2014, 19:01   #990

Quote:
Because we all have different tastes. Some (me included) prefer the traditional. Perhaps that is why I buy ( and sometimes sell) antique furniture; I like the quality and what it represents.

You like modern. I look at that interiour and think, "How austere and sterile, with no character", you see modernity and like it. As far as taste goes, neither one is wrong, just different.

You know what they say about different strokes for different folks. BTW, newer boats need maintenance also. Or do you expect to trade them in every 5 years?
You don't understand me: I like it all that is well designed, new and old. Each epoch has the more advanced cars and boats. I like has much these ones as I like the ones that are cutting edge now. There was a time where these ones were cutting edge too.

Closed Thread