Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 16:17   #976
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: The Yard Guys

A bavaria with bottom paint inside, you sure???
__________________

__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 16:35   #977
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: The Yard Guys

You can see actually in this video, that the 80 % of the boat lenght interior hull is covered by furniture and the liner, the hiden hull sides by the furniture are bare fiberglass, but then why cover the glass with something if actually no one notice it or see it, and the grid liner have a clean and good looking surface , then the stern and the bow áreas are separated from the inner moulding and they are White gelcoat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=13m_42QS4uU
__________________

__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 17:07   #978
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
A bavaria with bottom paint inside, you sure???
Yes I am sure, epoxy bottom two component stuff but I guess you are right. They apply it only on areas where the water can be in contact, meaning the bottom and low sides. It seems that on jeanneau they do it with gelcoat that is waterproof too.
Polux is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 17:08   #979
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What do you mean with "fiberglass extensive spots"? You mean that out of those spots the interior of the hull is gelcoat? Never saw gelcoat on the interior of a hull
Flowcoat (gelcoat) finishes on non-living space hull interiors (lockers, bilges, etc) is very common. Probably much more common than epoxy paint - at least all the boats I am familiar with.

However, I don't see any daylight between gelcoat and epoxy paint here - the only purpose is to provide an esthetically smooth surface, with the possible practical reason of making it easier to clean.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 17:37   #980
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Flowcoat (gelcoat) finishes on non-living space hull interiors (lockers, bilges, etc) is very common. Probably much more common than epoxy paint - at least all the boats I am familiar with.

However, I don't see any daylight between gelcoat and epoxy paint here - the only purpose is to provide an esthetically smooth surface, with the possible practical reason of making it easier to clean.

Mark
It can't be that bad. Oyster as well as Hanse uses that to. Maybe Italian/Germans versus French boats. The reason Epoxy is used on areas that can be in contact with water has to do with being impermeable.



Polux is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 17:51   #981
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
......
Do those nuts on the keel bolts really have no backing? It looks like they are just the nuts, not even washers. Is there a backing plate underneath the fiber glass that you know of? Resolution is too low to get a great look when magnifying.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 18:00   #982
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Do those nuts on the keel bolts really have no backing? It looks like they are just the nuts, not even washers. Is there a backing plate underneath the fiber glass that you know of? Resolution is too low to get a great look when magnifying.
Why they should they have washers if they are over a big backing steel plate?
Polux is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 18:24   #983
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Do those nuts on the keel bolts really have no backing? It looks like they are just the nuts, not even washers. Is there a backing plate underneath the fiber glass that you know of? Resolution is too low to get a great look when magnifying.
Did you really just ask that question?

Yard Guy - clean up on aisle 5.
__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 18:37   #984
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Why they should they have washers if they are over a big backing steel plate?
That was my question. It was not obvious from the photo, it looked like there was just fiberglass there.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 18:40   #985
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Did you really just ask that question?

Yard Guy - clean up on aisle 5.
Says the guy who doesn't recognize a bottom job prep? Or answered if his boat ever had one done, or if he has been in a yard to see them prep other boats.

Telling by the silence, but has lots to comment on other issues.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 19:02   #986
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Says the guy who doesn't recognize a bottom job prep? Or answered if his boat ever had one done, or if he has been in a yard to see them prep other boats.

Telling by the silence, but has lots to comment on other issues.
You seem obsessed. That's not healthy.

As I said earlier, I recognize the prep in those photos. And yes I've seen it before. The question - always - is what is underneath the primer/filler "prep" - and why was it needed? Pinguino got this. But you wouldn't be interested.
__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 19:44   #987
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
...

As I said earlier, I recognize the prep in those photos. And yes I've seen it before. The question - always - is what is underneath the primer/filler "prep" - and why was it needed? Pinguino got this. But you wouldn't be interested.
I don't understand what that is all about: There are many old Swans that the owners, or new owners decided to refit. Any old boat needs work from time to time. Why do you find need to post photos about that? On the marina where I picked up my boat they run a business recovering and maintaining old Swans. Plenty of work, the shipyard has more work with them then with any other boats (they are more and older). It is expensive to maintain an old top boat in pristine condition, good business for the cantieri

I don't understand also why some of the guys that like old shoes like Swans. Swans were never old shoes but top performance cruiser racers on their own time and that's because they were very advanced designs on their time that they still have today a performance identical to contemporary mass production sailboats, size by size. I like Swans as I like old sports cars, what I don't get it is why someone that likes Swans does not like today's Swans, the boats that today are what Swans were in the past (including modern Swans) boats like these ones:
Polux is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 19:49   #988
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't understand what that is all about: There are many old Swans that the owners, or new owners decided to refit. Any old boat needs work from time to time. Why do you find need to post photos about that? On the marina where I picked up my boat they run a business recovering and maintaining old Swans. Plenty of work, the shipyard has more work with them then with any other boats (they are more and older). It is expensive to maintain an old top boat in pristine condition, good business for the cantieri

I don't understand also why some of the guys that like old shoes like Swans. Swans were never old shoes but top performance cruiser racers on their own time and that's because they were very advanced designs on their time that they still have today a performance identical to contemporary mass production sailboats, size by size. I like Swans as I like old sports cars, what I don't get it is why someone that likes Swans does not like today's Swans, the boats that today are what Swans were in the past (including modern Swans) boats like these ones:



Did you know the N52 began life as the Swan 53, before Nautor sold the molds to Nauticat and S&S redesigned the boat for Nauticat (it was originally their design for Swan)?
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 19:51   #989
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Talking Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't understand what that is all about: There are many old Swans that the owners, or new owners decided to refit. Any old boat needs work from time to time. Why do you find need to post photos about that? On the marina where I picked up my boat they run a business recovering and maintaining old Swans. Plenty of work, the shipyard has more work with them then with any other boats (they are more and older). It is expensive to maintain an old top boat in pristine condition, good business for the cantieri

I don't understand also why some of the guys that like old shoes like Swans. Swans were never old shoes but top performance cruiser racers on their own time and that's because they were very advanced designs on their time that they still have today a performance identical to contemporary mass production sailboats, size by size. I like Swans as I like old sports cars, what I don't get it is why someone that likes Swans does not like today's Swans, the boats that today are what Swans were in the past (including modern Swans) boats like this one:
Because we all have different tastes. Some (me included) prefer the traditional. Perhaps that is why I buy ( and sometimes sell) antique furniture; I like the quality and what it represents.

You like modern. I look at that interiour and think, "How austere and sterile, with no character", you see modernity and like it. As far as taste goes, neither one is wrong, just different.

You know what they say about different strokes for different folks. BTW, newer boats need maintenance also. Or do you expect to trade them in every 5 years?
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 16-12-2014, 20:01   #990
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Because we all have different tastes. Some (me included) prefer the traditional. Perhaps that is why I buy ( and sometimes sell) antique furniture; I like the quality and what it represents.

You like modern. I look at that interiour and think, "How austere and sterile, with no character", you see modernity and like it. As far as taste goes, neither one is wrong, just different.

You know what they say about different strokes for different folks. BTW, newer boats need maintenance also. Or do you expect to trade them in every 5 years?
You don't understand me: I like it all that is well designed, new and old. Each epoch has the more advanced cars and boats. I like has much these ones as I like the ones that are cutting edge now. There was a time where these ones were cutting edge too.

__________________

Polux is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey, Diesel Guys ! ssullivan General Sailing Forum 20 26-08-2010 06:38
Do you guys really have insurance??? starfish62 Liveaboard's Forum 48 05-07-2007 08:17
OK Florida guys and gals, Who and where is this yard? MNDWGZ Multihull Sailboats 12 20-12-2006 09:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.