Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 16:56   #286
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 596
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
What brand new boat can you buy fully equipped and ready to cross the Atlantic for less than $150K.
I agree. The last new Beneteau I sold was in 2007. It was a 423 and if my memory is correct I believe once optioned out it was $230k. The boat did not have any cruising gear other than a below deck autopilot. One could easily spend another $30k on extras to get the boat equipped for extensive cruising. I remember thinking that I would buy a nice Beneteau First 42 for $70K and dump another $50k in refit money (with new sails, motor, rigging, cushions, electronics, electrical....) and have a much better boat.

I just checked a few Cruising World articles and a Sense 43 has the price tag of $300k and the new Marlow-Hunter 40 is $240k.
__________________

__________________
cpa is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:00   #287
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Who said you can buy a brand new boat, fully equipped, for $150K? Of course - that's not too far off:

2015 Bene 38 Oceanis for $148K
2015 Beneteau Oceanis 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Impressive that massive number of substantial bulkheads they have incorporated into their structure, don't you think?
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:02   #288
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: The Yard Guys

Do you strongly believe that a boat with litle tanks in wáter and fuel is designed for extended periods of time in the sea??

The bene again with a fridge in the starboard side facing port side, really?
No hand holds.
No proper sea berths, no lee cloths.
No bulkhead.
Nav station facing backwards., and using the salón space.
The entrance door its a joke .
Could be funy to reach the boom.
The cockpit manual bilge pump under the helmsman seat.
One of the worsts kitchen i ever seen.
The boat could be a nice choice for coastal and casual offshore sailing, but for extended periods of time in the sea, NOP!!!

The chart table nav station in the bavaria, you must be kidding, lol!!!
__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:16   #289
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 596
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Who said you can buy a brand new boat, fully equipped, for $150K? Of course - that's not too far off:

2015 Bene 38 Oceanis for $148K
2015 Beneteau Oceanis 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2015 Jeanneau 379 for $175K
2015 Jeanneau 379 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2015 Bavaria 37 for $138K
2014 Bavaria Cruiser 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Just an FYI the Oceanis 38's hull length is 36.5 feet, The Jeanneau 379's hull length is 36 feet, and the Bavaria 37's hull length is 35.7 feet. So in reality these boats are mid 30 footers. I guess they like to include anchor rollers in the length. Don't know why the modern boat manufacturer does this, but they do. I guess maybe to fool the buyers into thinking they have bigger boats.

Also these boats in sailaway will always be a more than a Yachtworld listing. The Beneteau O38 ranges from $145k-$225k loaded (Cruising World). The Jeanneau is said to have a sailaway price tag just over $200k (Cruising World). The Bavaria Cruiser 37 is $197K according to its website.
__________________
cpa is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:29   #290
cpa
Registered User
 
cpa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida
Boat: Compass 47
Posts: 596
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No bulkhead.
YIKES. That is actually scary. I guess you can install an optional larger bulkhead, but I wonder if it is structural or just a panel. I guess it is like a convertible sofa or a Mr. Potato-boat.
__________________
cpa is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:31   #291
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,028
Re: The Yard Guys

I would much rather have our boat than any of those new production boats. And based on other's experience it ought to survive any survival storm even driven by a couple idiots. Although I agree with Smack that we should try to avoid that cuz the idiots might not survive.
__________________
transmitterdan is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:32   #292
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
YIKES. That is actually scary. I guess you can install an optional larger bulkhead, but I wonder if it is structural or just a panel. I guess it is like a convertible sofa or a Mr. Potato-boat.

Nah , you can remove the bulkhead or sail with the bulkhead in place or not, both options, i believe the boat is enough stiff in this área otherwise it can twist badly, probably a grid liner on steroids... but where the hell you place the bulkhead if you want to sail without the bulkhead???
Haaa i forgot , in the marina!!!!
__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:44   #293
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No bulkhead.
I see what looks like a waist-high bulkhead athwart the boat with a ring bulkhead structure that is either tied into it or an integral part of it.

Surely, you have seen these in multihulls?

Our main beam consists of a knee-high bulkhead spanning 15' of saloon tied into ring bulkheads in each hull. This is a much longer run of a short bulkhead and less ring tied into it and we don't twist and bend.

I suspect that engineering will be just fine.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:55   #294
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I see what looks like a waist-high bulkhead athwart the boat with a ring bulkhead structure that is either tied into it or an integral part of it.

Surely, you have seen these in multihulls?

Our main beam consists of a knee-high bulkhead spanning 15' of saloon tied into ring bulkheads in each hull. This is a much longer run of a short bulkhead and less ring tied into it and we don't twist and bend.

I suspect that engineering will be just fine.

Mark
Yes, agree, nothing wrong with that if they desing it like that, i mean im sure the boat is stiff right there ,
__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 17:57   #295
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Do you strongly believe that a boat with litle tanks in wáter and fuel is designed for extended periods of time in the sea??

The bene again with a fridge in the starboard side facing port side, really?
No hand holds.
No proper sea berths, no lee cloths.
No bulkhead.
Nav station facing backwards., and using the salón space.
The entrance door its a joke .
Could be funy to reach the boom.
The cockpit manual bilge pump under the helmsman seat.
One of the worsts kitchen i ever seen.
The boat could be a nice choice for coastal and casual offshore sailing, but for extended periods of time in the sea, NOP!!!

The chart table nav station in the bavaria, you must be kidding, lol!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I would much rather have our boat than any of those new production boats. And based on other's experience it ought to survive any survival storm even driven by a couple idiots. Although I agree with Smack that we should try to avoid that cuz the idiots might not survive.
Bene is good at building to their market. And that is the marina condo, coastal cruiser crowd. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they should not pretend that these boats are anything but. They will do a great job in that environment.

Yeah, I saw that nav desk on the Bavaria, and wondered, who do they think they are kidding?
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 18:12   #296
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Impressive that massive number of substantial bulkheads they have incorporated into their structure, don't you think?
So buy the Jeanneau.
__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 18:32   #297
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: The Yard Guys

I will take this Passport 40 by Perry anytime instead of the babys plastic fantastic.



Worth to
read the review!
__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 18:37   #298
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,028
Re: The Yard Guys

^^ +a bunch
__________________
transmitterdan is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 18:39   #299
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So buy the Jeanneau.
Speaking of which. Late 80s O'day 39 is a Jeanneau hull design built out in MA. Came out quite strong and seaworthy. I had the luck (or was spoiled) to start my first sailing steps aboard that model and realized only years later how great this boat was. When I started I had no point of reference not having sailed on any other boat before. The only issue for us was her relatively deep keep, almost 7', which gave us less room to play with.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 28-11-2014, 19:28   #300
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: The Yard Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I see what looks like a waist-high bulkhead athwart the boat with a ring bulkhead structure that is either tied into it or an integral part of it.

Surely, you have seen these in multihulls?

Our main beam consists of a knee-high bulkhead spanning 15' of saloon tied into ring bulkheads in each hull. This is a much longer run of a short bulkhead and less ring tied into it and we don't twist and bend.

I suspect that engineering will be just fine.

Mark
I think these particular guys actually need the old heavy boats. They just can't comprehend anything else. So let them drop their six figures on slow antiques. It makes them feel safe and, apparently, somehow, "admired".

The rest of the sailing world can have just as much fun in just as many places and be just as safe for far less in nice, blue water capable production boats. And they'll have a lot more left in their cruising kitty.

The industry itself, pretty much across the board (even Oyster), is moving away from most of what they say is important. I think I'll follow the industry.
__________________

__________________
smackdaddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey, Diesel Guys ! ssullivan General Sailing Forum 20 26-08-2010 06:38
Do you guys really have insurance??? starfish62 Liveaboard's Forum 48 05-07-2007 08:17
OK Florida guys and gals, Who and where is this yard? MNDWGZ Multihull Sailboats 12 20-12-2006 09:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.