Ah yes, the restoration
of Lady J starts in earnest. First we pulled the little Kubota that hasn't fired in over 18 years.
It spins freely, seems to have good compression
and has both compression
relief and glow plugs. My big old Perkins
has neither. The heat exchager is toast.
While the boys worked with heat guns
on the paint
, wooding the old girl, I went after the seams. This job is not entirely painless.
The compound the previous folks used is like an epoxy
, hard as a rock and sticks well to the wood on whatever side it stuck to. I have to chip it loose and then reef it out. I'll post a video tonight showing the painful, tedious process.
Sometimes I get lucky with a long run, usually not...
There were some dubious repairs
done to her in the past, such as this thru-hull plug
with fasteners set in seams. I'll have to scarph in planking to fix that.