Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 08:00   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
The Restoration of 'Lady J' - The Beginning...

I took the train down and rode with the new owner to inspect a Kettenburg 40 rumored to be hull number one. We found her in a special shed/shop combo in the foothills of Oregon where she's been for the last 18 years under the stewardship of a gentleman by the name of Rudy Selvern. While I don't know her launch name, I do know she will be called the "Lady J" when I'm done with her.

I was amazed at how tight the seams were on this boat that had been out of the water for over 18 years. There's a bit of putty missing from a few spots but overall, she looks ready to go in right now.

Here are a few photos of the hull. For some reason, the flash on my wife's camera didn't wanna work so I'll have to wait for more pictures from the owner, who took many.

Here's one of the keel area....

and the rudder...

Does anybody know if the K-40 transoms are planked mahogany or ply?

Here's where Rudy opened her up for drainage because he yearly washed her down on the inside to get rid of dirt and critters.

The deck is still good non-skid over canvas over ply and seems solid with no evidence of leaks. The bilges still have a look to them as if they came out of the factory no longer than five years ago. I saw one rib butt that looked soft and nothing else yet. There are four ribs that cracked in the bilge that were sistered. The wood in the cracks looks fresh still with no graying or discoloration.

The mast was rebuilt by reefing the joins and reglueing with West Systems. Rudy, being an Engineer, was so precise as to level the current mast rack with a laser to keep it from hogging. I can follow behind somebody like that as far as completion of the work is concerned. I don't yet have interior photos but will post them up when I get some. Trust me, it's even cleaner than the exterior.

We hope to have her in the yard by the end of the month.

At least I don't have to consider cold molding her anymore, not with a hull like this.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 08:16   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Thumbs up Lovely

My brother has a K40 "Swift" and he loves it. It really performs. He stripped her a few years back and found pretty much what you are depicting. He did find a soft spot in the stem that was replaced. Interestingly, Swift has a free flying spade rudder as opposed to the keel mounted one depicted on Lady J. Doesn't help when going in reverse but aids in low speed control forward. Looks like a terriffic project.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 08:25   #3

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
She looks like she will be an awesome boat once you are finished with her. Congrats to the new owner of Lady J and congrats to you for getting the job .
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 08:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Thanks. Considering she is hull # 1 and not even on the Kettenburg registry, we plan to lavish extreme care on her during her stay with us.
Old 20-06-2010, 14:06   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a couple of more...

and

one more

Old 20-06-2010, 17:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's some more, this time her interior and bilges.

Anchor locker

Forepeak bilge

Old 20-06-2010, 17:28   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and more...

Engine compartment

Engine

Galley

Old 20-06-2010, 17:36   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and...

Aft bilge

Port Laz

Port cockpit locker

Old 20-06-2010, 18:29   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Charlie myboy, you sure know how to find the ladies
In Arthur Beiser's 1966 book," The Proper Yacht" he shows, and speaks highly of Paul's 43ft model. I'm pleased to say it is right there alongside my Reliant in the book.
Old 20-06-2010, 18:44   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like this model much more than the PCC personally. It's better laid out as a cruiser but still can carry 800 sq ft of canvas with the sprit. Yes, ya heard me right. This K-40 has a bowsprit....
Old 20-06-2010, 19:26   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He just sent me more...

Mast step

Head bilge

Head

Nav

Starboard chainplate

Tags
restoration