Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 14:38   #31

Re: The Re-Fit Begins

Why not just make the old shower pan look new ? If you have the skills to make a mold then a new shower pan. Repairing the old one should be a breeze ? Starting my own refit on a Schucker 436
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 17:16   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30

Making new due to the old one has a lot stress cracking and was a poor layup schedule (to much flex). Plus the vanity will be a integral part of the pan. No more plywood to rot in the head.
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:53   #33
Marine Service Provider

I got all the fiberglass mat cut today for the mould. I will be spraying the gelcoat Friday night and laying up the mould Saturday morning. Pop it Sunday and Polish. New gelcoat arrives Friday and will layup the new pan next week.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1391615907.192429.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	75344
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19   #34

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Are you inside the warehouse where all the birds are? Do you have electricity in the boat? How are you working in it in this cold?
Doing a good job, be persistent, keep it up.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:00   #35

Boat: 1987 Island Packet 31

I have a question for everyone about re-fits? I hear over and over again how long they take (and cost) and that is all well and good. But, what I am wondering is what type of life you're living when doing the re-fit; that fact would surely sway the time-line. Sure it makes sense if you have a job/family/kids and a life on-land, your 'winter' upgrades can easily turn into multi-year project.
But...there are others who's life is ONLY about the refit. If your dawn to dust, daily job is just working on your boat (not living on it) (and you have the money to back it up)...then sure, why couldn't it be done?

Discloser: Prompted by the fact that we are planning on doing the latter and hoping for a 6 month or less re-fit....over winter...on the great lakes....

Thoughts/Idea's?
challis0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat is at PCHM yard on the hard. I have a heated shop at my house about 10 min away. There is power at my boat and I just heat the boat when needed
Old 05-02-2014, 10:33   #37

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Unhappy Re: The Re-Fit Begins

Wow nice to be so close to the boat, mine is 1 hr away and under 1' of snow, I hate NJ.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45   #38

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by challis0124 View Post
I have a question for everyone about re-fits? I hear over and over again how long they take (and cost) and that is all well and good. But, what I am wondering is what type of life you're living when doing the re-fit; that fact would surely sway the time-line. Sure it makes sense if you have a job/family/kids and a life on-land, your 'winter' upgrades can easily turn into multi-year project.
But...there are others who's life is ONLY about the refit. If your dawn to dust, daily job is just working on your boat (not living on it) (and you have the money to back it up)...then sure, why couldn't it be done?

Discloser: Prompted by the fact that we are planning on doing the latter and hoping for a 6 month or less re-fit....over winter...on the great lakes....

Thoughts/Idea's?
It can be done. But once you start, you better finish, because your project has no commercial value, and you cannot "get rid of it"...
The problem stems from the way it is estimated. When you estimate something that you have never done, you tend to be too optimistic. Once you start, you discover that a) its a lot harder than you thought, or b) you find more work that must be done before you do the original planned one - the underlying issues that must be fixed or else could jeopardize the results.
It needs persistence. After your first refit, you will be a lot better at estimating.
It took me 6 years to build a boat that I planned to do it in 2. I am now on my second project, not building, just restoring/refitting, and I am more comfortable in knowing what it will take just by looking at the work to be done.

So, it takes time to do it right, and when you do it for yourself, you don't want a blotched solution.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote