Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 09:48   #16

Cool Re: The annoying new guy.

Brian,

As a powerboat guy, can't help you with your sailboat questions. Most boats don't come with hull manuals, only separate information on components. Try a Google search for your stove and components.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:00   #17

Re: The annoying new guy.

Welcome, Brian.

One book I highly recommend for old boats is Don Casey's This Old Boat, like This Old House. The first edition has great boat info, not too good on electrical. You can find the first edition for very little $$. This book has every fix-it you'll ever need.

Sailing For Dummies is also very good.

Calder's might be way above what you need no since it gets into boat systems that you may not even have on your boat.

Good luck, happy learning.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:05   #18

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Twin keels? An odd boat for a tideless body of water. Have fun.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:38   #19

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'day Brian,

Well, it sounds like you are learning your sailing much as I did: get a boat and figger it out from books and the school of hard knocks as you go along. Worked out ok for me, but nowadays everyone says that ya gotta have formal lessons, tests, certificates and so on..
Jim
Ditto that! I think some would be quite surprised how many folks in Alaska can handle a small plane without any of this.
I have no desire to race so this knocks out about half my classes, about another quarter really was for someone with no knowledge of, how can I say, practical application of mechanical processes, and the last quarter of learning was and still is the most valuable info from seasoned sailors relevant to the individual experiences I am seeking..
Old 09-10-2015, 10:40   #20

Wow! Haven't seen a Richmond Ring Shipmate for years.

Many of them ran on either diesel or kerosene but I bet yours is alcohol. Although once very common, alcohol has pretty much disappeared from boats because:

a) you noticeably age waiting for a pot of water to boil over an alcohol flame. The oven is only useful to dry things.

b) After a while, most find the risk of being immolated in a propane explosion preferable to the regular, almost invisible alcohol galley fires that burned many hands and eye brows.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43   #21

Boat: Niagara 35

Welcome, Brian! It sounds like you have a perfect first boat and a safe playground to learn on.

There are lots of annoying people here, myself included depending on who you ask. You'll fit right in!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15   #22

Boat: Vivacity 24, Twin Keel

Ok, ordered The Complete Sailor and Casey's books (there's a compilation). I am looking into Calder's.

A twin keel loses a major advantage in a tideless area, but it still has a couple of things going for it. It trailers easily, floats right off of the trailer in less than 3' of water and so far seems very stable even in gusty winds. I was mainly interested in it for the low price (it was a steal), the ease of trailering, and the shallow draft.

To answer another question, I am interested in exactly the kind of responses I am getting, suggestions for books, other websites, and just getting in touch with what seems to be a very friendly community.

I am going to be restoring a few things that need attention, but not taking on a wholesale refit for a boat of this caliber. I like to learn by reading and doing, and this was s just my starter. I'd like to graduate to a larger vessel on the ocean someday, bit I figure that you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

So, I have put the stove issue on the back burner, (see what I did, there?) But I have come across a couple more questions.

First, the boat came with a Chrysler 250 outboard, set up with electric start, remote controls and the ability to function as a generator. It seems like it was one of the first outboards built specifically with a sailboat in mind. Except for some mice setting up housekeeping (no in the air filter, fortunately) and chewing the insulation off of some wiring, it doesn't look too bad. I have several Mercury, Honda and Evinrude motors, but I've never dealt with a Chrysler. Is it worth messing with? I am currently using a Mercury 8hp tiller and while it's awkward for handling, it reaches hull speed easily. I think the Chrysler is a 9.9.

Second, I found the fresh water tank. It's built in to the hull under the v berth. It looks dodgy to me, but is this common?

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I am worthless when it comes to engine repair, doubly worthless on outboards. So I can't help you there.

Built in water tanks could describe either a tank that is fiberglass molded as a permanent part of the hull. In this case it's fine, you just need to clean it out really well. I suggest leaving it empty when it isn't needed and just filling up for trips. Most of your sailing is going to be day sailing, where water just won't be needed. This keeps that nice clean and pretty tank from needing recleaning in a few months.

If it is a drop in tank with the cabinetry built around it, so long as it doesn't leak I wouldn't stress over it. Same rules apply as to keeping it empty however.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Calder is my god but I will get a copy of This Old Boat.
Thanks for the tip.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 18:01   #25

Stumble, I should have been more clear. It is the kind that is molded into the fiberglass hull. It's a large shallow triangular tank. The lid is what I find dodgy. The lid has the same shape and matches the perimeter of the tank, which is probably great for cleaning. There is no gasket and I am worried about it leaking. I will have to see what I can come up with to create a new gasket/seal, fill it with water, and see if it holds. Like I said, I'm new to all of this, for all I know it will work great with a little work. I think I was disconcerted to find it with no screws in the lid and no gasket, I was expecting to find something more like an rv water tank, which is like what you described as a second possibility. You get what you get on a deal like this, so I'll just have to see how it works before I waste time on trying to come up with something better.

Old 09-10-2015, 18:32   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

One idea is to use a rubber bladder and put it in the space.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 20:25   #27

Here's a picture of the sketchy water tank...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444447455233.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	110731  
Old 09-10-2015, 20:26   #28

Nothing wrong with the fiberglass but it will probably (but not always) give some taste to the water. If you plan to bring bottled water for drinking, just use it. But I hate lugging water bottles so I'd probably put in a new flexible tank that fits the space.

Flexible Fresh Water Tanks at AhoyCaptain.com
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 20:30   #29

Oh, snap, CarlF, that's exactly what I am looking for.

Old 09-10-2015, 20:41   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I think your tank is a 20 gallon.
With a bit of fiddling, this 26 gallon shape might fit.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote