Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Tensioning jacklines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I was thinking about that kind of setup as well but I have never seen it in stainless. The common stuff would probably start rusting fairly quickly.

Available in 304 and 316 stainless, I have two sets, one for the jack lines, and another set for the dink lashings

Handy Straps Ltd*::*Stainless Steel Section (free postage)*::*Stainless Steel Ratchet Straps
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06   #32
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Available in 304 and 316 stainless, I have two sets, one for the jack lines, and another set for the dink lashings

Handy Straps Ltd*::*Stainless Steel Section (free postage)*::*Stainless Steel Ratchet Straps
I did eventually find stainless versions but I was unable to find any information on load ratings for anything along those lines. Although I don't remember where I saw it, the information on strapping systems using this kind of ratchet system where well below that required of jacklines. I don't know though if the limitation was the ratchet mechanism or the attached strapping (I suspect strapping was the limitation). Nevertheless, I would hate to find out the hard way that the ratchet was only good for say 2000 lbs when every other component in the system is rated for 5000 lbs.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
There were sone for sale at a gov'ment auction a few years ago. Too bad I was on the wrong coast. >>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...aft-33150.html
Totally off topic, sorry, but do the letters for the hailing port look like they are 4" tall? Also, the hailing port should include the name and state. I'm guessing these boats are documented? Maybe they are Navy so the rules don't apply?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38   #34

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Totally off topic, sorry, but do the letters for the hailing port look like they are 4" tall? Also, the hailing port should include the name and state. I'm guessing these boats are documented? Maybe they are Navy so the rules don't apply?
Government owned, government rules! They might have a USS Lively on the bow like the big ships. Don't know!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:48   #35

Boat: Morgan 33 Out Island

I use 1-inch nylon webbing, but I seem to run it a bit differently than those posting above. Instead of a straight shot from the stern cleat to the bow cleat, I run mine from the port stern cleat, then out to the mast, and back to the port bow cleat. When single handing offshore I never left the cockpit without being tethered. The system I use allows me to use a relatively short tether attached to my harness and jack line, but additionally, it pretty much keeps me centered on the boat at all times. I stretch it tight as a guitar string and it's pretty much flat on the deck so I don't trip over it during the middle of the night when I need to climb on the foredeck and drop the anchor.

Another thing I do, when sailing at night, and I need to go forward for some reason, drop the main, etc..., it to turn on the spreader lights and illuminate the entire deck. Makes life a lot easier than groping around in the dark. One night, when coming down the ICW and pulling into a small cove to anchor for the night, when I turned on the spreader lights I suddenly realized I was not alone. There were four other boats there, none had turned on the anchor lights, and I had slowly motored right through the middle of them in total darkness. I was fortunate in that I didn't run into any of them. 3G-Radar will definitely be my next major purchase.

Gary
Travlin-Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01   #36

You do not want jack lines so tight you cannot get them off the deck to hook-up to. Pull them by hand as hard as you can . I prefer coater SS wire pulled hand-tight as UV is not a problem over the years. . Install jack lines in a location that is inboard out of deck traffic .

It is important to have jack line as far from the Rail as possible and still allow you to work on item needing attention. Always use as short a tether as possible which will minimize any fall.

A lone tether and jack lines close to the rail only increases your chances of going overboard. If that happens in heavy weather you will be dragged along the side of the boat and the crew will be able to recover your body easily.. What you really want the equipment to do is keep you from going into the water.

At night in open water you should not leave the cockpit . In the day time in high winds and rough water is when I use Jack lines. (55 years of cruising big waters.)
wcstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 14:08   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcstrain View Post

At night in open water you should not leave the cockpit .... (55 years of cruising big waters.)
Really? What do you propose to do on passages? Can't run a cruising vessel this way, mate, just will not work.

Better think up a new methodology, but after 55 years I doubt if you will!

Jim

Tags
Jacklines