Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2007, 05:49   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Question Temp shelter for construction

Ok, who's had to built their own temporary shelter to build (or refit) their boat in? Let's see 'em!!

Rent has gone up at our local boatyard so making use of that facility has exceeded our budget. We measured the back yard and with a little landscaping we can just make it work. We'll need a shelter that's no bigger than 20'x36' by about 15' high at the peak. Looking at something cheap but effective maybe like this....

Have looked at other methods, PVC pipe, fence pipe etc. the pipe itself isn't too bad but the fittings are expensive. 4Yr greenhouse poly (two layers) seems like a good cover. Two layers inflated can provide good insulation and nowhere near as expensive as poly tarps. It only has to last 2 yrs (hopefully ).

I don't expect to need a structure capable of hoisting engines with but the snow load in this part of the world can be considerable (although very light the last few yrs with global warming). Anybody done it this way? Suggestions?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 10:22   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Rick,

I've seen structures like you are describing in Thailand where 2" PVC was used (the cheap stuff, not schedule 40) for the framework which was a simple series of arches with longitudinal stringers, much like the wooden one in your photo but without the peak. I imagine you would want a bit of a peak, however, if you are contending with snow. This was then lashed together with cheap fiber tape, no fittings, and covered with synthetic tarp. Seemed to hold up very well in the wind and rain.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 11:00   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Mike

I'm surprised they don't use bamboo! I've seen pics of scaffolding made with bamboo that goes many stories high!

Even though there's been very little snow in the past few years I'm afraid as soon as I build something we'll get a major dump!!!

Bylaw officer said they wanted drawings *sigh* and a list of materials I'll build the structure of, damn bureaucracy and public servants!
Old 31-10-2007, 12:02   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Have you looked at the farming catalogues. Alot of them offet structures like that with the covers and engineering. Some jurisdictions distinguish between temporary and permananet structures. The temps don't need permits. Here is a link that is not tall enough for what you want but it may give you some ideas. Sheds-Modern Farm

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 12:10   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Charlie

Yup done that due diligence too. Problem is we don't have the $4K to $5K for their cheapest options. Total budget for this part of the project is $2K. Also looked at a Cdn company that leases them but that's not a cheap option either, works out to about $6400 for two years. Time for me to get creative I guess.

Rick
Old 31-10-2007, 12:22   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Check out the bow-roof shed design from Stimson Marine, if you need plans for a cheap, temporary shed. I'd think you could build one just like it without plans, but since your local bloodsuckers may require them, here's a link to that page:

Stimson Marine - Bow-Roof Shed

TaoJones
Old 31-10-2007, 12:39   #7

We have a polytunnel type shed, 15 metres by 10 metres, by about 4.5 metres high.

It cost $4500 Aus, which is over your budget, but I have a queue of boatbuilders wanting to buy it after I am finished, so I expect I can easily recover 1/2 of that. It has stood up to around 60 knot winds without a problem, but no snow.

I'd recommend getting something similar, especially if you intend to get approval from your local council, because these types of shed come with all the engineering done to their standards.

There are pics of it in my gallery. http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 14:12   #8

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Bylaw officer said they wanted drawings *sigh* and a list of materials I'll build the structure of, damn bureaucracy and public servants!
I suppose they wouldn't be impressed with a materials list that said "PVC pipe and packing tape". On the other hand, since they are beaurocrats maybe you could dazzle them with BS. What if your materials list said "Macrotubules of polyvinylchloride fastened with nylon-fiber reinforced adhesive binder"?
You never know...
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 14:33   #9
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Check out the bow-roof shed design from Stimson Marine, if you need plans for a cheap, temporary shed. I'd think you could build one just like it without plans, but since your local bloodsuckers may require them, here's a link to that page:

Stimson Marine - Bow-Roof Shed
Thanks TJ, I was looking for that page earlier. I should have just built it and begged for permission after the fact! Looking at the local farm supply stores now for used structures, apparently there's a few come up every year. I like 44'cruisingcat's and have saved those pics. That's top of the line for this project and it'd be nice. Not man boats built around here so don't think there's much of a market for used enclosures, you never know though. Thinking!
Old 31-10-2007, 14:36   #10

Boat: now floating easy37
The Studio
heres a link and plan similar to mine (except mine is welded together) in aus you have to get permission for everyhting unless you prove that it is a temporary structure(i.e no permanent footings, one way of getting around this is to put thinners drums( 20l or plastic pails) in the ground and pour concrete and into these as the concrete is not technicnically in the ground and can be removed it is temporary you have to be able to dismantle the structure in a day too
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 14:39   #11
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's a lot like what I originally had in mind Sean. Think you shared that page before. I'm waiting on a quote from a fence company for something similar that'll be bolted together with couplers so it can be dismantled and reused or sold later. I don't expect that option to be cheap either.

Thnx Fellas

Old 31-10-2007, 15:25   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congrats on 1000!!!!!! Whoopee.
They have some very cheap greenhouse type structures in Oregon using steel for frame and poly for material. They are called hoop houses. Sorry I don't know more about them.
Over here in Hawaii we use steel tube frames and big silver tarps. About $400 for a 40x40 for the roof. Can't handle a snow load though.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 15:30   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
That "Bow Roof Shed" looks good. Build one on 4' high stud walls with double layer greenhouse plastic and you will keep the full width up a bit so you don't have to walk tipped over. That idea of the removable footings sounds good too. That Bow Roof looks easy to build and should be quite inexpensive.

PS: put the lateral supports for the stud walls on the outside.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 16:04   #14
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Can't handle a snow load though.
Frz will tell ya about snow! He lives in "WinterPeg"!
Old 31-10-2007, 16:46   #15

I know someone in Montreal who has built a Bow Roof shed. He is able to work on his boat year round with temps dipping down to -30C, wind and plenty of snow haven't been an issue. A small electric heater during those cold winter days seems to be enough. The only modification has been the addition of opening vents at both ends to help with condensation.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote