Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 17:41   #1

Boat: Com-Pac 35
Tech Stuff to Jettison

The Com-Pac 35 I just bought has lots of stuff on it and I am trying to decide what to sell/give away/throw away. I plan cruising from VA, USA to Trinidad. This is the stuff I am considering getting rid of, I want to know what you think warrants the first heave overboard.

1. Lectrasan waste treatment system.
2. Spectra Ventura 150 Watermaker, pickled for what I believe to be well over a year, gets in the way of accessing little things like the steering quadrant.
3. Furuno 1700 chart plotter and 10 inch NavNet with radar and 6 year old charts from VA to Bermuda and Trinidad.
4. 12" 12v tube TV with integral VHS player.
5. Two 125W solar panels (untested)
6. Wind Bugger (also untested, let's presume it works)

I know most of these things have some real value, especially that phat TV but I am really interested in the value of the Electrasan and watermaker for long term cruising.
Expeditious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:24   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Tech stuff to jettison

I'd toss everything except the watermaker, chartplatter/radar and solar panels. And I would only keep the watermaker if you planned to use it all the time. If you plan to stop in marinas occasionally, I would toss it.

The watermaker will need a new membrane and possibly some rebuilt pumps. The clark pump might be damaged if it wasn't pickled correctly. This will cost a boat buck for sure, but be worth it if you plan to anchor in isolated places with no reliable sources of water (and have small tanks).

Nothing wrong with 6yr old charts for the route you are taking - nothing significant has changed, particularly offshore. If the chartplotter and radar work, they are good.

Solar panels rarely go bad and that 250W will be a godsend in the tropics with lots of sun.

Tough call on the windgen. If it is not already mounted and working, I would sell it.

You will not be using the Lectrasan at all.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Letrasan lets you operate in some restricted areas. We installed an Air Head. Not nearly as high tech.

If you are coast wise cruising you may not need the watermaker. In some non-US areas good water may be hard to find.

Tube type TV is a museum relic. Dumped all of mine as well as the TV COAX throughout the boat.

Solar panels usually rated for 20 years or more. You may want to update the charge controller to modern MPPT type.

WINDBUGGER Wind Bugger out of business but still servicing old ones. That new charge contorller might also handle the wind generator.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 19:05   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Letrasan lets you operate in some restricted areas.
If you are sailing from VA to Trini, then any restricted area ends 12 miles into the trip.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 20:56   #5

Boat: PT-11

Gotta be a troll.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:01   #6

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I'd love to be floating nearby if you jettisoned any of it! All but the sexy TV would improve where I'm at in mid rebuild. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 02:19   #7

Decisions so far: The Lectrasan is gone and if anybody wants to come get it in Wilmington, NC they can have it. The TV will be gone at a later date. I'm still up in the air on the watermaker but sure would like to open up the space below. Thanks for the responses.
Old 20-01-2012, 02:32   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Even if the watermaker cost a new membrane, feed pump head, and possibly a re-maned Clark pump it has value. Combined with the two solar panels, if they work, I believe you'll be sorry you got rid of them later on.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 03:34   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

why would you just get rid of any of it, keep it all
Old 20-01-2012, 04:44   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expeditious View Post
This is the stuff I am considering getting rid of, I want to know what you think warrants the first heave overboard.

1. Lectrasan waste treatment system.
2. Spectra Ventura 150 Watermaker, pickled for what I believe to be well over a year, gets in the way of accessing little things like the steering quadrant.
3. Furuno 1700 chart plotter and 10 inch NavNet with radar and 6 year old charts from VA to Bermuda and Trinidad.
4. 12" 12v tube TV with integral VHS player.
5. Two 125W solar panels (untested)
6. Wind Bugger (also untested, let's presume it works)
I'd remove the TV / VHS - but that's just a personal thing.

The rest I would leave onboard. The Watermaker I would attempt to fix, even if not any time soon!

Not to say that when some of that stuff goes kaput that it would be replaced. 6 yo charts? Me father still uses his from 1962.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:53   #11

Why in God's name would you even THINK about getting rid of the solar panels!?! Unless, of course, you plan to run your motor for hours every day so the batteries will never need any additional charging. Or maybe you plan to replace them with larger panels (but then I'd keep what you have and just add some more).

The boat has a 75 gallon water tank, which is minimal for any long passages, but plenty for coastal cruising. So as far as the watermaker, the question is, how long do you want to be able to go between stops at places where you can fill your tanks?

I envy you. The Com-Pac 35 is on my short list of "dream boats."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:59   #12

Boat: N/A
Send a message via Skype™ to tmsmith

I would get rid of the TV first. But then, I never watch TV.

If the Wind Bugger is a wind generator, that would also go. They are a nuisance.

The rest depends on your cruising style. Will you be spending a lot of time at anchor or making long ocean passages? Then the solar panels and water maker will be nice to have. If you're spending a lot of time at docks, not so much.
Old 22-01-2012, 04:27   #13

Re: Tech Stuff to Jettison

Great advice. I am keeping everything except the Lectrasan (free for the taking if you want to come get it), the TV (that will be turned into more useful cabinet space ) and the wind bugger if it proves to be non functional. Thanks to everyone who responded. I am new at this cruising boat stuff and need all the advice I can get.
Old 22-01-2012, 07:24   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Tech Stuff to Jettison

We retained our Vac-U-Flush units. One has a small holding tank. Both have Y valves. We added an Air Head to comply with zero discharge on the Great Lakes. Two of us can operate with it for two or three months. No smell, no pump out, no through hulls. I recommend it if you need to comply. We attached the vent hose to a solar deck vent so also no power used. If I had room for only one head on the boat, it would be this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0343.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	36325  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote