Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 14:34   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Teak veneer over MDF?

It is seldom that one sees such agreement in the responses to a query. When all the pundits agree, one should pay attention (note to OP!).

Jim
Old 25-12-2014, 20:40   #32

I know I'm a little off topic...my apologies. If someone could provide me some direction to other links or any other info I'd be grateful.

I'm going to build a cockpit canopy on my Morgan. I'd have an idea of using starboard and covering it with fiberglass....light/strong and not too high cost. I don't know if this makes sense or not. Has anyone done this or have knowledge or better ideas?
I don't even know if fiberglass will stick to starboard. Thanks much.
Eddiefuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 06:04   #33

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

If you are referring to the polymer lumber sold @ West Marine I don't think it would work. I don't believe fiberglass will adhere to it. It is rather more heavy and quite a bit more expensive than plywood. Of course, if you mean something else, never mind!
Old 26-12-2014, 06:10   #34

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

As Jim Cate noted, so much agreement on this forum on one subject is noteworthy.

We are scrapping the MDF and considering other alternatives. I am glad I posted the question before we went any further with our work.

Thanks for all the constructive (pun intended!) feedback!
Old 26-12-2014, 07:15   #35
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

Leaving aside the issue of substrate, and assuming a stable and mature plywood base...

What's the group opinion on the PSA veneer durability itself?

It seems that with sufficient installation pressure, the veneer/substrate glue line should be stable.

I want to refinish some galley detail pieces that have suffered water damage over the years, and this PSA process with a teak veneer seems like it would be workable on the small parts one at a time, so less disruptive overall.

Ideas?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 07:17   #36

I worked in construction my whole life. MDF is considered a " dimensionally unstable material". I wouldn't use it in my house. although Masonite is also used in boats it is in the same category.
Ronaldsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 07:20   #37

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I would think that the peel and stick veneer may work on vertical surfaces but would be reluctant to use them on horizontal surfaces or on small pieces. But that comes from general experience with peel and stick products, not necessarily with yours.

Good luck!
Old 26-12-2014, 07:34   #38

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
As Jim Cate noted, so much agreement on this forum on one subject is noteworthy.

We are scrapping the MDF and considering other alternatives. I am glad I posted the question before we went any further with our work.

Thanks for all the constructive (pun intended!) feedback!
If I was doing it, I would start with marine grade plywood, cut it to the right size then coat both sides and the edges with epoxy (west or other). When that's cured, sand the interior side smooth, apply the veneer and apply your finish of choice (oil or varnish).
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:04   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Exterior plywood and most Marine Plywood use the same glue. The difference is in the number and size of voids in the internal plys and quality of the face plys. Unless you get super high quality plywood like Bruynzeel (sp), Marine and Exterior Grade plywood are identical except for the above.

Another good thing about MDF is it will begin to stink as it gets water saturated. Here in Humid Hawaii, you can smell a house with cheap MDF cabinetry as soon as you walk in the door. The cabinets are usually falling apart from humidity in the atmosphere that has been absorbed by the MDF.

FWIW, expensive European Cabinets from companies like Poggenpohl (sp) are pressed board. Don't know how they get anyone to pay those astronomical prices for the cheap material.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:29   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuego View Post
I know I'm a little off topic...my apologies. If someone could provide me some direction to other links or any other info I'd be grateful.

I'm going to build a cockpit canopy on my Morgan. I'd have an idea of using starboard and covering it with fiberglass....light/strong and not too high cost. I don't know if this makes sense or not. Has anyone done this or have knowledge or better ideas?
Starboard is polyethylene mostly. Nothing will stick to it structurally.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:37   #41

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuego View Post

I would think the Starboard could be used alone if that's what you want to use. Otherwise, fiberglass would be used over a coring material.
Old 28-12-2014, 12:41   #42

the expensive cabinets sell because the people that buy them either don't know or don't want to know what their cabinets are really made of, some are satisfied when the salesman tells them the cabinets are constructed from an industry-wide accepted core material. They never mention how moisture sensitive the product is of course because that would decrease sales, the basis of their income. Most "custom-made" and essentially all factory-produced cabinetry isn't worth the hardware attached to it, unfortunately most women seem to love it and their choice is what the buying decision is based upon. Marine cabinetry has to endure much higher ambient moisture for prolonged periods, and since some parts of it may be actually structurally part of the strength of a boats overall integrity I would never recommend anything but marine-grade plywoods or solid hardwoods proven to withstand the marine environment. Exterior grades of plywood are useful when laminating structures in larger (over 50') vessels but can compromise the longitivity of important parts of a boat due to the size of voids that may be present where a solid laminate is critical, but they are cheaper, if cost is higher on your list of priorities than safety.
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 14:29   #43

Boat: Looking...

"if cost is higher on your list of priorities than safety."

Surely this describes all who go down to the sea in ships!

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:00   #44

The better home cabinets are made of Alder hardwood now. A whole new industry grew up in the PNW as Alder grows fast and is everywhere. There's a mill nearby that produces it. It's quite hard, not that water resistant, but not really bad either. The cab makers finish it to look like whatever wood they want to represent, Pecan, maple etc. It would be a far better choice than pressed cabinets to boat builders if finished and not bare.
It's totally funny to us old timers as we only know it as firewood! I had a couple big fir trees to sell when I built my workshop, the jippo logger who came to look said he would pay more for the Alder than the evergreen wood.... things change....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:21   #45

Boat: Columbia 41

As an architect who lives on my boat, I only use marine grade plywood aboard. I do specify MDF for cabnetry applications on shore side projects. As for peal and stick teak veneer, I have used that on my boat with mixed success. On a plywood bulkhead it worked okay. On my nav station it tends to come loose. I use an ordinary cloths iron to stick it back. Annoying but not a serious task. Same deal where peal and stick teak veneer is applied directly to fiberglass. I used teak corner mouldings to hold it in place.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote