Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-01-2011, 15:50   #1

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
Question Teak Maintenance

Hello All,
I was wondering where I could get some good ideas as for making old aged teak wood bring back its' luster and then what to coat it with in order to keep it nice and shiny like the newer boats have.

Old 05-01-2011, 15:54   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Give it a sanding to get all the grey out then wipe or paint on Teak Oil.... it'll feed your teak and prolong its life.... just needs a quick wipe of oil a coupla times a year after that.... 15min job...
Or you could do what a lot do and varnish it... every year

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Another option to sanding is to chemically treat the wood. Part A is a detergent that cleans and part B is an acid that returns the wood to its brown color. After that, your choices are to oil it or to varnish it. Or if you ever get tired of it and would rather spend your free time sailing, then paint works.

There have been many threads written on this topic that you may want to do a search for. Expect to read dozens of differing opinions.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:29   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Davids given a good option if the surface is smooth but... if its dried out it'll probably have lots of grooves running the length in which case sandings the only option for a good finish

Born To Be Wild
Old 05-01-2011, 16:54   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Try to find the book 'Brightwork' by Rebecca Wittman. It's a great resource for woodwork and can be found pretty cheap online. You'll read so many different types of advice online that your head will spin. Very few methods are completely wrong though everyone will think theirs is best.

A word of advice, if you do any sanding (and you probably will), keep the cost of teak in mind. Take off as little as possible so you have enough left for future refinishing!
Old 05-01-2011, 17:28   #6

Previous post are right. There are as many "best" wood finishes the as there are best wax. A lot depends on how much time you want to put into it and what is good enough to satisfy you.

We've had good luck with Sikens Cetol. We live by the 45th parallel and this finish will last 2 seasons without much attention. Every other year I use a green scrung pad to buff the surface tape the wood off that is on the deck and put a top coat on with a foam brush. We started by sanding the wood down, wiping down with acetone, or isopropal alcohol let dry and put on 3 to 4 coats then start the evey other year routine. We've been on this routine now for over ten years. Looks great to me and I get a lot of comments from others.

One thing found that will destroy any finish is the prep that includes sanding or cleaning the wood at the base where it attaches to the deck. If this spot is not prepped completely, putting any finish over will flake off in time ruining the finish and the teak will turn black underneath. In other words if you can remove it do it.

Happy Sailing
Old 05-01-2011, 19:17   #7

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
Thanks for all of your responses. They will all be very helpful. I am sure it is like anything else in life.... If you don't want to put forth the effort, don't waste your time doing it half---ed.
Old 05-01-2011, 20:30   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Call Teak Deck Systems in Sarasota for an estimate on replacement. Once you have that number, you will be more careful with your deck. Do not put oil on it as that only attracts more dirt, which the solution is to clean it even harder. Do not use those two step deck destroyers. If your deck has been very neglected, you will need a light sanding. Otherwise get the TDS cleaner and a white 3M scrub pad. Use the hottest water possible and do it in sections.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-01-2011, 20:40   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Call Teak Deck Systems in Sarasota for an estimate on replacement. Once you have that number, you will be more careful with your deck. Do not put oil on it as that only attracts more dirt, which the solution is to clean it even harder. Do not use those two step deck destroyers. If your deck has been very neglected, you will need a light sanding. Otherwise get the TDS cleaner and a white 3M scrub pad. Use the hottest water possible and do it in sections.

Your mileage may vary.
Did not know Morgan 27's had teak decks...
and I agree... dont oil teak decks...

Born To Be Wild
Old 05-01-2011, 21:53   #10

Boat: Westsail 32
On interior teak, a light coat of teak oil wiped off works well. On exterior teak, oil attracts dirt and oil grows mold, and both require more scrubbing and more loss of teak. (Teak will very quickly form ridges and valleys along the grain with overzealous scrubbing, so go easy --- no brushes, only a white plastic 3M scrub pad.) I've found that a few minutes every month or two with a spray bottle of Tilex and a soft 3M scrub pad leaves the teak clean with a soft shade of light tan (teak decks too). I will never coat exterior teak again with oil, varnish, cetol or paint because sooner rather than later, all will have to be removed and redone. I'd rather sail than refinish (a couple of hours every 2 months, including the deck, doesn't count .)
Old 05-01-2011, 22:10   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
I just sanded my deck and used Semco Teak Sealer and it looks new again. I to don't like oil, especially in high humidity but I wanted a sealer/UV protector. I didn't want a varnish like Cetol due to the work involved in reversing the process if you change your mind later. The Semco Teak Sealer *should* fade away with no work involved like oil does if you change your mind. Also, I only sanded the caulk back to level with the wood (as the wood had shrunk), don't sand down to the bottom of where the soft grain is missing, you'll lose too much wood. The Semco is tinted (choice of colors) and will color the remaining silver, although it's still obvious that it's not the same color at the freshly sanded wood.
Old 05-01-2011, 23:00   #12

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Several years ago, I started using a product called Tekua (sp). I bought a couple of gallons and the rusty cans have been replaced with cloth wrapped jars. It is oil based, but grippy and lasts a year. So far I just clean and put a touchup every year. This is on the Hans, the Hardin remains naked and dirty. It is not shiny like varnish, it does darken the wood, but it doesn't seem to cause a buildup.I like it because it's low maintenance, my wife doesn't because it reminds her of cetol, but it might be worth a look, I would recommend the lighter shade. I don't remember seeing anybody saying that if you have old varnish or cetol to remove a hairdryer or heat gun is a great tool to aid in it's removal. Remove all you can before sanding or cleaning, you'll be miles ahead.
Old 06-01-2011, 00:01   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
the BEST way to do teak restoration is use sea water to wash it with a 3m pad. i oil mine. you can varnish-- at many dollars per board foot is your call.. sand the hell out of it, bleach it to death or treat it correctly and use salt water on it and then oil it. i no wuse watco and i spend exactly 6 hours per YEAR on my teak and it looks almost as bludi shiney as a formal snot yot. btw--i have measured about 110 ft of teakwood on my formosa--and it still only takes me 6 hours per YEAR to keep it nice. try to use a non colored product if at all possible. i use watco teak oil. i used to use one that didnt make a skin on the wood. my teak is teak color.. funny thing about that.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 00:46   #14
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't coat exterior team decks ( except the fancy bits). That way all the pain of getting it off is avoided. Cetol looks way fake and all of them look great for 4 months then they look worse then if hadn't done anything at all. Clean the teak and wash with seawater , I occasionally use a bit of diluted chorine to handle a bit of mould growth.

Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
never coat decks with anything. never.--you will die.--lol --for real!!!!! nothing like a slickery deck in wet situations, like sailing. splat--onass an dbreak back or overboard-- so never coat decks.
i cringe when i see nicely varnished grates on bow sprits, also-- obviously those folks do NOT go forward for anything. use sea water and enjoy the natural beauty of the wood., as well as the natural non skid surface it provides.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: