Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-09-2012, 04:19   #1

Boat: Looking...
Cool Teak Leak! Deck Repair or Replace?

Voices of doom say that teak decks in 20-30 year old boats are doomed to leak. True or false?

Are cores beneath decks doomed to suck up water, fail, and render the boat an expensive mess to repair?

Will a good survey always reveal deck core problems?

Should they be repaired - an unending task - or replaced?

Replace with teak or new glass?

Where to get it done? 30 years ago, the wisdom was Trinidad during hurricane season - cheap and skillful labor available.

As one considering older boats, some of which have teak decks, I await the wisdom of the group.

Bill

Old 18-09-2012, 04:51   #2

Voices of doom say that teak decks in 20-30 year old boats are doomed to leak. True or false?

True

Are cores beneath decks doomed to suck up water, fail, and render the boat an expensive mess to repair?

Depends on core material and a whole host of other factors.

Will a good survey always reveal deck core problems?

If its good, yes.

Should they be repaired - an unending task - or replaced?

Yes, I'm doing my own.

Replace with teak or new glass?
New glass, then if you want teak glue it down, if not anti skid.

Where to get it done? 30 years ago, the wisdom was Trinidad during hurricane season - cheap and skillful labor available.

If you are paying someone else to do it, then you had better be there to supervise.

As one considering older boats, some of which have teak decks, I await the wisdom of the group.

Look through "60 feet on the chesapeake" thread and you will see my progress on the back teak deck.

Old 22-09-2012, 17:14   #3

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Teak Leak! Deck Repair or Replace?

It depends on how much $$$$ you want to spend. If you have an old boat with solid teak decks, recork the decks and re-pitch the seams. If you have plywood/teak over lay, you can pull up the teak, replace the rotten plywood, rebed the teak. If you have teak over glass, foam/balsa core decks, you're in for lots of fun. If you just want to seal the decks and dont care about covering the teak, just laydown bug screen or canvas and slop on the airbol - lagging material - it'll last for years and it's cheap. They also have rubber compounds that work well but I'd put it on over canvas, bugscreen or glass cloth.
It depends on the boat, how long are you going to own it, what you do with it, how much $$$ you want to spend. These canvas decks look just fine and work well. All you really want to do is keep the water out of your bunk, right?
Old 22-09-2012, 18:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Teak Leak! Deck Repair or Replace?

Yep, all teak decks leak (mine included). It's really not that bad though, if you know how to work on them. 40-80 hours a year is about the time you'll spend keeping them in tip-top shape. If that's not your thing, don't get them.
Old 24-09-2012, 23:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck
It depends on how much $$$$ you want to spend. If you have an old boat with solid teak decks, recork the decks and re-pitch the seams. If you have plywood/teak over lay, you can pull up the teak, replace the rotten plywood, rebed the teak. If you have teak over glass, foam/balsa core decks, you're in for lots of fun. If you just want to seal the decks and dont care about covering the teak, just laydown bug screen or canvas and slop on the airbol - lagging material - it'll last for years and it's cheap. They also have rubber compounds that work well but I'd put it on over canvas, bugscreen or glass cloth.
It depends on the boat, how long are you going to own it, what you do with it, how much $$$ you want to spend. These canvas decks look just fine and work well. All you really want to do is keep the water out of your bunk, right?
You can also just cetol them as well. Sounds lame and everyone will yell at you, but cetol'd decks that aren't leaking for a few years are light years better than "properly handled" teak decks with various leaks causing seams to bust open.

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: