Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-11-2008, 20:02   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Teak Guard Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations (pro and con) on Teak Guard, a fairly new product with encouraging web site (but aren't they all). My concerns are longevity and deterioration (nothing lasts forever). Are chipping or pealing issues? Expected life in Texas/Oklahoma heat and sun? Preparation requirements for recoating. I might look nice fresh, but for how long? If this stuff can be refreshed like an oil, great. If it's a hard coating or gives a slippery surface, forget it. What's your personal experience?

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 20:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
I gave up and painted all my exterior teak a teak brown color. Nothing beats paint for stopping the UV.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 21:18   #3

Boat: Bavaria 36 Cruiser - Bare Necessities

If the teak is used for decking, I recommend leaving it age naturally with no treatment. Just use salt water and a soft brush or sponge (brushing across the grain) to keep it clean and looking good. If the teak is a trim material, I recommend using Cetol. Clean the teak well, let it dry for several hours, and wipe with acetone to remove the first layer of natural oil. Apply 2 to 3 coats of Cetol natural teak colour, followed by 2 coats of Cetol gloss. Sanding between coats is not needed (just rough up lightly with a "kitchen scrubber") if you do the coats one after the other. Then annually apply a coat (or 2 depending on condition) of Cetol gloss for maintenance. Do not use the Cetol (gloss) for floors.
Mine has been on now for about 3 years and looks great!
Oils tend to attract dirt, mould, and other things that will cause the teak to turn a "black" colour. Then it will require a complete starting from scratch.
I do not profess to be any kind of an expert, but this has worked well for me.
Good luck,
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 20:42   #4

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I gave up and painted all my exterior teak a teak brown color.
Hello David
i'm at this stage too. the deck is 40years old the teak is starting to wear through to what looks like a fibre mesh layer on top of kauri ply.

one of the local boat builders estimated it would cost about $16k to replace the teak deck and thats not the type of job i want to commence at the start of the local wet season.

does your exterior teak have sikaflex jointing, did you paint over that with a primer, remove it before painting or leave it alone. mine is starting to fall out so i cant
see me leaving it there.

bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: