Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 03:32   #16

Boat: Chris-Craft 38
Re: Teak Decks

If it was mine I would use synthetic teak
To many rainy days around here ,normal teak stays black much of the time
Nu Teak Decking, Marine Teak, Synthetic Teak, Plastic Teak, Boat Decking, Boat Teak, Yacht Decking, Marine Decking, Teak Installation
Stray-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 06:25   #17

The decks are screw and glued they don't just come off very easily, we did the work. There were a lot of holes that needed filling. Also some water intrusion in the decks we asked the manufacture and they said don't worry, the core between the deck is not structural. Didn't make me feel better.
At that point we had to put a grip on the deck, so we had it painted with awl grip, the whole cabin top and hull. The hull would look funny if we didn't do it, the gel coat was bad.
All the hardware, everything had to come off.
The estimate on the deck was about same, but they would of remove the deck. Remember, teak not cheap, very, very expensive. Also, take look at your deck,our s had some nice jointery, that would have to be map out, the chauking should be a two part mixture, very missy hard to work with, there is cheaper brand don't do it.

Things you should ask yourself, does your decks need replacing or just some maintenance?
How is the gel coat on your boat, does it need some attention? Do you have to paint your hull or not. Matching the top side sometime is not easy if you are not replacing the teak.
If replacing, makes sure it is someone that has the experience on replace, take look at their work.
There is a fake teak which is interesting also.
Sonrisa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 20:17   #18

Just mostly finished doing the aft deck on my 60 ft ketch, lots of time. I had to remove the gel coat and one layer of fiberglass. Refiberglass and then gel and then non skid. The fore decks were not done properly in the past by a PO so I will be doing those this winter. Big job...still psych ing myself up to tackle it! Some pics on a thread here of the job, just look up my posts.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 20:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210 View Post
Wanna share?

Today's lesson is called "subcontracting" you can to ALL of the work, I'll pay you $200 and keep all for the teak and $19,800. Minaret gets new decks... Win win win.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 22:11   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Gonna have some scraps? I might could help out a bit

There'll be lots. I'll happily hook a fellow forum member up. I can't see cruising in the tropics with teak decks, too hot on the bare feet. And too much maintenance. And all the polysulfide wears off and makes it hard to keep the boat really clean and shiny.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote