Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 03:21   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Cavalier 45
Posts: 9
Teak Deck Replacement

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone recommend a reputable yard in South East Asia to replace our teak deck on a 45ft yacht.
We are in the South Pacific with the intention of sailing over the next couple of years to Asia.
I'm thinking, mainly because of labour costs and that's where teak grows that somewhere in Asia would be better to have the teak replaced as opposed to in New Zealand where the workmanship would be top notch along with the price.
I don't want cheap and nasty, I want cheap and great.
Cheers,
Lane
__________________

__________________
Lanevdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:55   #2
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Teak Deck Replacement

Welcome to CF Lane!

Friend of mine had his done in Phuket at Yacht Haven.... Could not be more pleased with the job...

https://yachtpipistrelle.wordpress.c...huket-phase-2/
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:40   #3
Registered User
 
Silver_Surfer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Baltic 37
Posts: 76
Images: 4
Re: Teak Deck Replacement

Do you know what they charged for the removal and install of the teak deck? Looks like a great job from the pictures
Thx John


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:11   #4
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Teak Deck Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanevdl View Post
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone recommend a reputable yard in South East Asia to replace our teak deck on a 45ft yacht.
We are in the South Pacific with the intention of sailing over the next couple of years to Asia.
I'm thinking, mainly because of labour costs and that's where teak grows that somewhere in Asia would be better to have the teak replaced as opposed to in New Zealand where the workmanship would be top notch along with the price.
I don't want cheap and nasty, I want cheap and great.
Cheers,
Lane
Lane,

I have direct personal experience of this. I have known many boats go through this process, and a good number of them have done it in South East Asia. There is, in my honest and knowledgeable (in this case) opinion one outstanding absolute winner. If you are lucky enough to get her time and team, you NEED to get to Phuket Boat Lagoon and engage the absolutely incomparable services of Nai, aka Chamrat Chooprasert, and her husband "Toe", at Phuket Inter Woodwork co.

You will not be disappointed.

There are others, such as Precision in the same boatyard. Precision is run by an Aussie, Scott, and is also excellent, but is hard to get time booked in and by and large much more expensive. It is in no way better, and honestly, I reckon Nai is in many ways the best in the world. She has the best attitude you will find anywhere, in any boatyard on earth. Last year a friend of mine and now retired commercial seaman on large ships turned large shipbuilder with his own major project management company operating in Korea, Japan, and China, after having his own 53 foot sloop redecked and in many areas rebuilt by Nai, told me that in his opinion she was the best shipbuilding project manager on earth that he has ever met. I cannot disagree. Anything you ask her, pretty much, there is no tooth sucking, just a serene smile on her face, followed by a brief nod, and the word "Can…" . And you can expect whatever she agrees to to be done, within time and within the quote, often with extra work thrown in for little or nothing. Her prices are superb by comparison to any first world nation and most second, but the quality of the work is something to behold!

Others have gone for perhaps cheaper options in the same boatyard, or in others dotted around SE Asia, such as others in Phuket, or Penang or others. Many have been disappointed. Many frustrated. Some ripped off.

Go see Nai.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:25   #5
Registered User
 
Dhillen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Pacific
Boat: Oyster 53
Posts: 359
Re: Teak Deck Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Lane,

I have direct personal experience of this. I have known many boats go through this process, and a good number of them have done it in South East Asia. There is, in my honest and knowledgeable (in this case) opinion one outstanding absolute winner. If you are lucky enough to get her time and team, you NEED to get to Phuket Boat Lagoon and engage the absolutely incomparable services of Nai, aka Chamrat Chooprasert, and her husband "Toe", at Phuket Inter Woodwork co.

You will not be disappointed.

There are others, such as Precision in the same boatyard. Precision is run by an Aussie, Scott, and is also excellent, but is hard to get time booked in and by and large much more expensive. It is in no way better, and honestly, I reckon Nai is in many ways the best in the world. She has the best attitude you will find anywhere, in any boatyard on earth. Last year a friend of mine and now retired commercial seaman on large ships turned large shipbuilder with his own major project management company operating in Korea, Japan, and China, told me that in his opinion she was the best shipbuilding project manager on earth that he has ever met. I cannot disagree. Anything you ask her, pretty much, there is no tooth sucking, just a serene smile on her face, followed by a brief nod, and the word "Can…" . And you can expect whatever she agrees to to be done, within time and within the quote, often with extra work thrown in for little or nothing. Her prices are superb by comparison to any first world nation and most second, but the quality of the work is something to behold!

Others have gone for perhaps cheaper options in the same boatyard, or in others dotted around SE Asia, such as others in Phuket, or Penang or others. Many have been disappointed. Many frustrated. Some ripped off.

Go see Nai.
Glad to hear Nai and Toe are still in business. We had them remove existing teak decks and put new ones on our last boat, a Tayana 52, "Tehani-li." They did an outstanding job and this was back in 2002.

Highly recommended and really nice people too.

Cheers.

Dhillen
__________________
www.theseaissalt.com
Dhillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:32   #6
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Teak Deck Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
Glad to hear Nai and Toe are still in business. We had them remove existing teak decks and put new ones on our last boat, a Tayana 52, "Tehani-li." They did an outstanding job and this was back in 2002.

Highly recommended and really nice people too.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Yes they are. And just wonderful. I love working with her. And Toe of course, though he just silently gets whatever she suggests to him done, and done to perfection. An absolute joy and I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees, with many acquaintances and friends having used her services. If only all marine service providers were half as good.
__________________

__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deck, men, teak

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teak deck replacement hgd137 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 25-08-2014 08:34
Teak Deck Replacement - Asia mattplowman Construction, Maintenance & Refit 9 11-01-2014 01:04
Teak Deck Replacement Time 4fish Construction, Maintenance & Refit 10 03-03-2013 15:46
Glued teak deck replacement jamesjle Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 05-10-2011 03:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.