Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-07-2016, 14:36   #16

Boat: Mummery 34
Re: teak deck removal + glassing over epoxy filled holes

Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I've done many decks. If the core is solid and doesn't compress the screw holes won't show. I would use West System's 404 high density filler with the epoxy. It makes a stronger bond.
Screw holes usually show in wood decks as dimples where the wood has absorbed water except where compressed by the screw.
If the core is wet you need to dry it. Otherwise you may have mold showing up where the moisture tries to get out.
Hi All,

If the plywood deck is damp. How do you dry it?

I have a plywood/teak deck and have just spent over 200 man hours replacing the jib sheet tracks. That was because I found about a desert spoon full of water that had come from one of the track bolts. After removing the track found corrosion on the underside so decided to replace them. The original holes were 3" centres and the new tracks 4" centres. 47 fixing holes in each track. I bored all the old holes out to 5/8 and filled them with Mega Poxy epoxy glue. Then marked out all the new holes and filled them using the same method then drilled through that for the fixing bolts. Also a backing under the deck was replaced. I also countersunk the holes and sealed the underside of the tracks and the holes with butyl tape.

I think that since the tracks probably had minor leaking through those other bolt holes the plywood may be damp or have a higher percentage of water than should be. I decided to carry on with the job and see if anything happens. Of course I'm interested in drying them.

I think my decks will outlast me. If not, I'm going to remove it all and fit plywood / Dynel decks without teak and just Kiwi Grip.

A 50 ft cruiser seems a huge job so good luck with it.

goodoldwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 17:41   #17

Check out the recent article in Australian Magazine Cruising Helmsman -

ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

An FD-12 has balsa cored decks with screwed teak overlay. Wet core is likely, have done a couple of FD-12 foredecks. It will absolutely need a full glass overlay, not just filler in the screw holes. Make sure to get a quality moisture meter on the decks after pulling the teak overlay.
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 14:05   #19

Have a Choey lee, 1982 41'. Soft spot forward forward hatch. Well took off top layer of glass, removed wet teak boards , replaced with close cell foam, epoxy resin , glass, America Cup putty. Tight no leaks. Leaky Teakie fixed. Do the job right!

Avanyu is offline   Reply With Quote

deck, epoxy, removal, teak, teak deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: