Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 17:49   #1

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Teak Deck Care and Observation

Hi Ya'll!!

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'll be darned if I can find it. We have Teak on our aft Sun Deck..(trawler). The PO recently reseated it with 700 screws and bungholes. (is that spelled correctly?) I clean it with sea salt water when I can and so far that is all I've done. What do I need to look for as danger signs before water leaks into my stateroom? What are the "telltale" signs that the deck is failing? What are the benefits of using teak oil or varnish versus leaving it natural?

I know we'll have to replace it someday. I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for to make sure we catch it before if fails.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!
Bess
35ft Senator Trawler
"Skinny Dippin'"
BessLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 18:23   #2

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
I got a 60 wood bosat with all teak deck.

after rain fall, look for black spots in the wood after is 'seems' to have dried, that's water going into holes or soaking under bungs and travelling down screws into your boat.
keep washing it with salt water, keeps the wood tight. don't scrub it with a stiff brush to make it look new, use a mop bit of dishsoap and dash of chlorox in a bucket (keeps algae and growth and bad smells out of it)
When you get fed up having it and trying to fix leaks take a chisel and gut all the caulking, then fair with epoxy and 406, put a skin of glass and paint with non-skid! You'll wish you had done it long ago.
Short of my extreme fix, varnish and oil is a WASTE of time and money, just a bit of soap will do.

Tamoure
Kris
Old 10-09-2010, 19:12   #3

I have a ton of stuff on my blog on teak maintenance. This website spells it out fairly well, although I'd also throw in a fein multimaster with a teak blade. Dramatically cuts down on reefing time (reefing a seam = getting the old caulking out).

How to maintain and caulk teak decks on boats.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 19:23   #4

Rebel - nice blog...very simple to understand! Every day you clean with salt water? If you were in brackesh water would you still clean it every day? What ratio of kosher/sea salt to water would you use? We go down river every month or so the the coast to find the clearer ocean water to wash the teak with. (of course, she gets a good fresh water rinse every weekend)

Kris, black spots, got it. Thanks! The Teak will come up before we go long term cruising. For now I'll keep cleaning it! I really do love it. Just looks good.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:44   #5

Every week is fine with the sea water. You just want to keep the decks wet and coated with salt essentially. It's really not that hard to maintain them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 21:00   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
did someone say teak care

Howdy, just want to second the salt baths, you can make it just fine with a scoop of salt in a bucket of water (I never measured). Reiterate the no bristle brush ever ever, use a mop or 3m scotch brite pad. The bristles (even soft ones) will kill a teak deck faster then letting them get dirty. As far as soap, Murphy's oil soap is the best, teak loves it and it is great for fiberglass too (wont take your nice wax job off). If you need stronger "Tide with bleach" is great for the occasional good scrub witha 3m pad.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 11-09-2010, 05:27   #7

Can I use regular old table salt or does it need to be the kosher/sea salt? We're in a river with brackish water, not salt...so my salt baths are minimal.

Murphy's really?? I got a bunch of that!! and no bristles...ever...(ever again).

Got it.

Look for black spotting for deterioration.

Any other things to look for as it ages? I think the most important thing for me, is to be able to catch it before it fails so I don't end up also needing to post a "How to replace a headliner".
Old 11-09-2010, 16:11   #8

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
nope, nothing else, it is that simple
no sanding, (maybe some 220 grit on a random for potential buyers)
no pressure washing (except before potential buyers come on board)
no snappy teak, (except for potential buyers)

Like Ocean Girl said, tide with bleach, or some Comet/Ajax + mop
NOT ON GELCOAT OR PAINT

If it's not a wood boat then fresh water isn't the biggest sin ever commited to a deck.

Tags
teak deck