Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 13:56   #1
SFH

Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Teak deck

Hi,

I am considering buying a very well maintained Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS Performance.

Only the teak deck concerns me. The boat is from 2007 and has gone through a major overhaul this year. Apparently the shipyard has cleaned the deck with a high pressure cleaner. The chalk looks okay but some of the soft fiber's are gone which means that the chalk is now about 1 mm higher than the teak.

Should I be concerned?

What can I do to seal the deck?

What lifetime can I expect?

Thanks in advance
/Steen
SFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 14:12   #2

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Teak deck

Check the plank thickness used by Jeanneau. Probably 10 or 12 mm. A 2007 boat with 1 mm wear of the deck is probably a bit too much but if you leave it alone in the future you can expect many many years of good service (15 years plus), specially with 12 mm plank.

If the builder installed thin plank, sail away...

Don't use any brush, pressure washer and teak DOES NOT need sealer!

Marc
Old 23-09-2013, 14:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
Hi,

I am considering buying a very well maintained Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS Performance.

Only the teak deck concerns me. The boat is from 2007 and has gone through a major overhaul this year. Apparently the shipyard has cleaned the deck with a high pressure cleaner. The chalk looks okay but some of the soft fiber's are gone which means that the chalk is now about 1 mm higher than the teak.

Should I be concerned?

What can I do to seal the deck?

What lifetime can I expect?

Thanks in advance
/Steen
This is surely the result of using chemical cleaners on the deck. The acid eats away the pith and leaves the grain raised. Teak needs no more than a swab down with salt water. You could remove the excess caulking with a sharp blade. I personally use me sharp curved blade pocket knife and then go over it with a light sanding. No need to seal teak decking, it is very dense and high in silica content and needs nothing else.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 14:43   #4
SFH

Thanks.

Will give Jeanneau a call tomorrow about thickness.

I am perfectly aware about what not to do. My question was more about "what to do since the damage is already there"

Will consider the sharp knife followed by light sanding and then leave.

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Steen
Old 23-09-2013, 15:14   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

If you can't sand diagonal to the grain to get down to uncompromised wood because of the caulking protruding, buy a japanese flush-cut saw from Home Depot for $15. I use this saw for flush cutting new bungs throughout my boat. It is flexible and the teeth are straight, so just press it flat against the surface you want something level with and you get a perfect flush cut. Will make short work of the caulking. Doing it with a knife would take weeks.

As far as lifetime is concerned, that's entirely a matter of maintenance and wear. 15 years if well maintained is probably accurate. Wash with salt water, no sealer, no soap, no oil, no nothing. Don't ever scrub it with anything but a soft brush and never with the grain.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 18:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If you can't sand diagonal to the grain to get down to uncompromised wood because of the caulking protruding, buy a japanese flush-cut saw from Home Depot for $15. I use this saw for flush cutting new bungs throughout my boat. It is flexible and the teeth are straight, so just press it flat against the surface you want something level with and you get a perfect flush cut. Will make short work of the caulking. Doing it with a knife would take weeks. As far as lifetime is concerned, that's entirely a matter of maintenance and wear. 15 years if well maintained is probably accurate. Wash with salt water, no sealer, no soap, no oil, no nothing. Don't ever scrub it with anything but a soft brush and never with the grain.
Cut bungs with a saw? Crazy, just use a sharp bevel chisel and a little sanding. I can remove excess caulk with my pocket knife faster than any other means. You just got to know what you are doing. 15 years? My decks are 33 years old and in pretty good shape.
Bloody amateurs
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 18:40   #7

Boat: Shopping...

I said ''15 years plus'' from TODAY. Boat is a 2007. And deck may have been pressure washed...

I certainly agree with you that some teak deck can last a long time. Depend on original thickness and owner care.
Old 23-09-2013, 19:28   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If you can't sand diagonal to the grain to get down to uncompromised wood because of the caulking protruding, buy a japanese flush-cut saw from Home Depot for $15. I use this saw for flush cutting new bungs throughout my boat. It is flexible and the teeth are straight, so just press it flat against the surface you want something level with and you get a perfect flush cut. Will make short work of the caulking. Doing it with a knife would take weeks.

As far as lifetime is concerned, that's entirely a matter of maintenance and wear. 15 years if well maintained is probably accurate. Wash with salt water, no sealer, no soap, no oil, no nothing. Don't ever scrub it with anything but a soft brush and never with the grain.
Flush cut dozuki is nice, but deck seams are usually too close together to work well. A nice sharp plane does a great job. I prefer a low angle for most things, but standard is better than 10 degree for this.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 19:32   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Cut bungs with a saw? Crazy, just use a sharp bevel chisel and a little sanding. I can remove excess caulk with my pocket knife faster than any other means. You just got to know what you are doing. 15 years? My decks are 33 years old and in pretty good shape.
Bloody amateurs
The Japanese are the worlds finest carpenters. They invented the flush cut dozuki and it works great. There is no set to the teeth. Blows a chisel away. Chisels cause blow out on bungs with surface grain; the saw doesn't. Less sanding too. Try refastening a whole hull, thousands of bungs. Dozuki rules. Especially for larger bungs.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 08:55   #10
SFH

Thanks guys. A lot of valuable information
Old 24-09-2013, 09:07   #11

The yard made a big mistake pressure washing and destropyoing the soft grain in the deck. If I'm not mistaken, there are no screws in that deck. So it's just a matter of: 1) is the deck still well "glued" to the boat? 2) can you live with how the deck currently looks? After all, it's superior non skind with the caulking raised up and the teak rough!

If you dont like the look and there is enough thickness to the reamining teak, you could make the offer contingent on the yard sandindin it all down flush again... and tell the owner they screwed it up! personally I would leave it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak deck