Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-07-2010, 10:21   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Teak Brightener on Veneer ?

Hi all;

I am refinishing our cabin sole boards. They are teak and holly veneer over ply. I have stripped 99% of the old finish off with a chemical stripper. There are some uneven colored areas left behind, from some water damage from standing water in the bilge. I would like to even out the color before refinishing.

Can I use teak brightener safely on the Veneer?

Also, in the cabin there is one spot where a portlight leaked, stripping the satin finish and the wood is now bare where the water dripped down the face of a panel. What is the best method to have this refinished and looking like the rest of the wood? It is verneer also.

My thought was to mask off the panel carefully, and use gel stripper, then brightener, then finish. Sound good?

Thanks in advance,

witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sure - just donít scrub it in with an abrasive pad or very stiff brush, as you might with solid wood. Instead, use a sponge or soft brush to work the brightener.

Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 12:51   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I had some dark water-stains on some of our floor boards that are surfaced with a teak and holly veneer and found that we could best treat the stains by lightly sponging on an oxalic acid based wood bleach and then blotting with a paper towel to minimize the grain raising. It takes patience and repeated treatments but it will work reasonably well. Once dry, the surface will need very light sanding before the new finish is applied. To get an idea how the new finish will look, wipe down the surface with mineral spirits beforehand. If signs of the stain reappear, re-clean the surface with acetone or 90% alcohol and then re-treat with your oxalic acid mix. It will work but it does require patience. FYI, be sure to coat the underside and edges of your panels as well as the wearing surface with your finish. I used satin finish Minwax Helmsman verathane covered with several coats of Minwax satin finish hardwood floor finishing which prodouced very good results--at least according to our slip neighbors that inspected the finished work.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 07:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Thanks for the info. The reason we are going through this at all is that the PO did not seal the bottom and sides. We had a leak in the water tank, and the finish yellowed.

witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: