Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2004, 18:05   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
teak and holly soul.

I need to "varnish" my teak and holly cabin soul. What is the best product to use? I do NOT want a non skid finish.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 02:22   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Mercator
I have been using Sekens Cetol and have found it better than any other product although I have not tried teak honey which is also reportedly excellent.

Previusly I had used Deks but Cetol is better and not 2 parts.

Either way I would not "varnish" - does not last as well and once it starts to deteriorate then you have to sand back and all that hard elbow grease stuff.

With the Cetol you just apply another coat.

It is more like an oil but comes up with a beautiful low sheen varnish type finish
Mercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 04:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
While I like Cetol on the outside for all the reasons stated, I don't think it is as nice below decks. It's UV properties and ease of aplication are great for outside use, but I don't feel the finish is as hard as I would want below. The PO did my interior with 9 coats gloss varnish about 15 years ago. The sole looks like new today. It has had a few small carpets to cut down on the wear and tear and reduce scratching but it's still really good looking.

I think on the interior I would still go with a traditional varnish done with all the repeated coats and elbow grease. When you use a good marine varnish it will hold up longer than you might think.

As for a brand, I think below decks you don't get the nasty UV so most of the products for marine use should do quite well. Most will suggest 5 - 7 coats. Color and finish style to match your cabin would allow a lot of room to pick from. Proper preparation and watching the temp and humidity would be key for the very best results. I guess that is true for all painting in general.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 05:29   #4

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
cabin sole

we used smith's , very hard ,very glossy ,the drawback is it's very expensive, but it's first class all the way
Old 30-04-2004, 06:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I have never seen Smiths. Is it a varnish?
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 07:18   #6

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
www.woodrestoration.com.
check it out Gunner
Old 16-08-2007, 10:36   #7
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Smith's is great product.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 11:22   #8

Boat: Westsail 32
I have been using the Bristol two part urethanes for years, in my experince nothing as beautiful or as durable. Bristol is now marketing a one part interior product.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 11:42   #9

Boat: Westsail 32
A couple of before and afters of a Bristol finish job done this spring on a customers Grand Banks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (1) of Grand Banks Transom Before.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	1678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Transom.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	1679  

cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 19:08   #10

polyurethane

Hi There,

Just to chime in.

For an interior application, I have been told that soles are often done using a polyurethane, and that this is what is done on most new boats, and that in fact almost all the interior wood is often done this way. I am not sure if they use a 2 pack poly or not, but I suspect that is what they would use for the sole since that gets a beating. Reasons given are that Polyurethane is much harder for abrasion resistance and thereofore more durable than varnish in an interior application.

Fine internal joinery on the schooner was always done in polyurethane, and all exterior work was done with varnish. That is, until a new crewmember redid them in varnish over the poly (to the captains yelling dismay). I have to say, they looked like furniture before, and not quite as nice after, and thats not because of holidays, it was just the look of the wood. it looked like layers of varnish, instead of furniture, if that makes any sense. The poly we used went on much thinner than varnish out of the pot, so it might just be a thickness thing.

The only real issue (allegedly) with poly is that your wood has to be completely dry, as if it is not, moisture will get under it and it will lift off in sheets. Varnish is supposed to "breathe" where poly is supposedly a solid layer that seals everything out (or in). I saw the poly used on the exterior decking on a schooner. The decks were obviously always wet (and needed to be washed down daily with saltwater to keep them tight), and the stuff came off in sheets and looked like hell. but that is a really bad example of what not to do. Made the decks hot as hell too cause they were darker.

I dont think the reddish colour of cetol would be to my liking down below. Even the cetol "light" version is very reddish orange when you use enough coats. I know the little chunk of wood that they use to show what it will look like in the store looks nice and brown and almost like a varnish, but in the real world the second you build up more than 2 coats, it's orange city.
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 19:33   #11

Ultimate sole is the best product I've found. Great gloss finish...goes on with a foam brush...no sanding betweeen coats and NOT slippery!!
Welcome to Ultimate Marine Products, Inc
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 20:58   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I used timber preserver (3 coats, 6 coats on end grain) then 2-pack polyurethane varnidh (3 coats). You will get a mirror finish if you use a good quality brush. For a good fisnish, but not mirror (i.e. with a little grip) use a small roller.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 07:22   #13

irwinsailor,

When finished, cover the sole with a strategically placed attractive rug.
Take a look at the picture galleries for Vicems.

Vicem - Power & Motoryacht

Pericles
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote