Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 18:15   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I am really curious about the stance of the professional diver-hull-cleaners amd US berthed yacht owners when the next step in environmental protection is taken in the USA... which is a ban on cleaning anti-fouled hulls while in the water. This practice releases much more poisons like copper and chemicals in the environment than cleaning the boat during extra haul-out's where the waste is contained and disposed of in a way that is safe to the environment.
Many years ago, we were banned from careening for cleaning and antifouling because of the toxins released by the process. That was annoying because the club has a couple of sets of careening poles and some excellent drying shoals. It's also a process steeped in nautical tradition. But it's true that our mangrove-lined inlets and creeks are fisheries breeding grounds and keeping them pristine is the best defence against the forces of creeping suburbia. So now we must slip to antifoul and then collect and properly remove all the waste. I've come to think this is good policy.

But it seems strange to me that the practice of an in-the-water scrub contines to be tolerated, because it is much the same thing as careening. Okay, I agree, that there is a difference in scale to a full antifoul while careened but if a diver goes along a row scrubbing every boat, and does it quite regularly, it's arguable that the toxins thus released would be considerable and comparable over time. I wonder if there've been any studies along these lines to inform us.
Old 07-12-2010, 18:28   #77

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
I wonder the same ting ?
Is OK for a diver to scrub, but not to careen.
Anyway,got my 1 coat of seahawk 44 plus on today, maybe Woodwind will not need another shot next year?
(friday launch)
Edit.... Chap in the boatyard left a 3sq inch piece of said paint on his leg overnight,had a nasty sore today.
Fstbttm, what ARE the alternatives, other than not being lazy n cheap?
Old 07-12-2010, 18:50   #78
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
But it seems strange to me that the practice of an in-the-water scrub contines to be tolerated, because it is much the same thing as careening. Okay, I agree, that there is a difference in scale to a full antifoul while careened but if a diver goes along a row scrubbing every boat, and does it quite regularly, it's arguable that the toxins thus released would be considerable and comparable over time. I wonder if there've been any studies along these lines to inform us.
Studies done in San Diego have shown that in-water hull cleaning does contribute to copper loading. What the most widely accpected study shows is that in Shelter Island Yacht Basin, for instance, aproximately 5% of the copper in the water column is due to in-water hull cleaning activities. Over 90% is due to the passive leaching of copper from anti fouling paints. The rest is naturally ocurring or comes from other sources. However, I know of no studies that show what the long-term effects of this copper loading are. While there is no doubt that many hundreds of water bodies in California are imparied for copper (according to the California Department of Pesticide Regulation and the USEPA), I have seen nothing showing how that affects the local foral and fauna. I do not maintain that copper in the levels we see due to anti fouling paint isn't bad, I'm just saying I seen haven't a study showing that to be the case.
Old 07-12-2010, 18:56   #79
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
Fstbttm, what ARE the alternatives, other than not being lazy n cheap?
What, have I been banging my head against the wall here? Any good high-copper anti fouling is an acceptable alternative. So far the only anecdotes we have seen saying that these paints are ineffective in the Carribean are from the people who use TbT paints!
Old 07-12-2010, 19:00   #80
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Sorry, but I can't go along with the implied logic here - I know TBT is a bad thing, but until the whole world bans its use, I don't see why I should stop using it.
Seriously? You know it's the wrong thing to do, you admit as much, but you don't understand why you shouldn't do it? Wow. You have a messed up sense of morality, man.
Old 07-12-2010, 19:06   #81

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
What, have I been banging my head against the wall here? Any good high-copper anti fouling is an acceptable alternative. So far the only anecdotes we have seen saying that these paints are ineffective in the Carribean are from the people who use TbT paints!
Wrong, my anecdotal evidence is from Trinidad, hard copper. This is only the second time I have used the devil paint. Trinidad was not available here. That is why I started this thread. I've been here 18 years , over the past 36.
Old 07-12-2010, 19:10   #82

Boat: Swan 56
fstbttms - You mis-read my post.

Try:

Sorry, but I can't go along with the implied logic of the other poster here

who seems to be saying

"I know TBT is a bad thing, but until the whole world bans its use, I don't see why I should stop using it"

I understand why I shouldn't do it, that's why I don't.
Old 07-12-2010, 19:12   #83
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
Wrong, my anecdotal evidence is from Trinidad, hard copper. This is only the second time I have used the devil paint.
OK, accepted. But you have an agenda. Let's hear from a few boat owners echoing your sentiments about cleaning frequencies who aren't pimping for the devil paint (and by that I mean; who still use copper-based paint.)
Old 07-12-2010, 19:15   #84
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
You mis-read my post.

Try:

Sorry, but I can't go along with the implied logic of the other poster here

who seems to be saying

"I know TBT is a bad thing, but until the whole world bans its use, I don't see why I should stop using it"

I understand why I shouldn't do it, that's why I don't.
Gotcha. But I didn't mis-read it, it was not clearly written. The quotation marks would've been nice in the original post.
Old 07-12-2010, 19:38   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
OK, accepted. But you have an agenda. Let's hear from a few boat owners echoing your sentiments about cleaning frequencies who aren't pimping for the devil paint (and by that I mean; who still use copper-based paint.)
Sorry... I thought I had... I was using Jotun.. don't know what base it is... but its legal..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-12-2010, 19:50   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I think I need antifouling on my deck. It's raining so hard here the barnacles won't be able to tell where the sea ends and the sky begins.

Old 07-12-2010, 20:04   #87

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
fstbttms, you are a strong advocate, but not a tactful one.

I don't care whether your study says that in water hull cleaning is okay or not.

It's obvious that in-water hull cleaning is harmful. I see the toxic plume floating off into the water!
Old 07-12-2010, 20:13   #88
cruiser

Lattitude 48 had an article in which it quoted a study which said over 60% of the copper in Puget Sound is from auto brake shoes. How much more is from ablative paints on comercal ships and ferries was not stated, but I imagine it was most of it.
This is aboput scapegoating cruisers , not solving environmental problems.
I have never found TBTF anywhere near as effective in stopping marine growth as copper paint.
Old 07-12-2010, 20:16   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
fstbttms, you are a strong advocate, but not a tactful one.

I don't care whether your study says that in water hull cleaning is okay or not.

It's obvious that in-water hull cleaning is harmful. I see the toxic plume floating off into the water!
I never said in-water hull cleaning doesn't pollute. In fact, I just cited a study that says it does. But it is a necessary part of boat maintenance. The whole point of divers using Best Management Practices is to minimize the copper that in-water hull cleaning activities introduces into the water and to make the customer's paint last longer. The heart of most BMPs is basically cleaning the boat frequently enough that the gentlest cleaning implement can always be used. Most hull cleaning BMPs also recommend refraining from cleaning ablative paints, which is what is happening when you see a "plume". But understand that the copper (or whatever toxin) that makes your paint work is coming out of that paint and going into the environment 24/7/365, whether you have the boat cleaned or not.
Old 08-12-2010, 00:34   #90
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
I never said in-water hull cleaning doesn't pollute. In fact, I just cited a study that says it does. But it is a necessary part of boat maintenance. The whole point of divers using Best Management Practices is to minimize the copper that in-water hull cleaning activities introduces into the water and to make the customer's paint last longer. The heart of most BMPs is basically cleaning the boat frequently enough that the gentlest cleaning implement can always be used. Most hull cleaning BMPs also recommend refraining from cleaning ablative paints, which is what is happening when you see a "plume". But understand that the copper (or whatever toxin) that makes your paint work is coming out of that paint and going into the environment 24/7/365, whether you have the boat cleaned or not.
Is it really a necessary part of boat maintenance?

I would have thought it just a cheaper and easier solution than say hauling out and cleaning down on the hard and collecting the residue (assuming the same frequency of in water cleaning).

Surely cleaning by hauling out would be a better practice enviromentally wise, just happens it would be dearer and more inconvenient.

Please note I am not advocating this practice, just pointing out the logic of what can be considered best practice and /or necessary boat maintenance.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-fouling