Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 11:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Tayana 37 Projects

Hi Matt - if your mast is deck-stepped, you absolutely can do it without removing the stick. I'd run a halyard to replace the missing shrouds while you're working on it, but that's mostly psychological. You should have enough redundancy to be OK as long as you're not expecting a hurricane. I did my chainplates (and deck core) at the dock without incident.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Hi,

Over the Summer, I just did a bunch of little jobs to acquaint myself with the boat, so I haven't attacked the major issue: Rigging and deck core.

Just finished covering the boat (mast up) for the Winter two weeks ago (I have 1day/week to work on the boat), so the plan is to work on the deck while she's covered, then work on: chainplates, knees, bowsprit, standing rigging, in the spring. I'm hoping to leave the mast in situ

Still debating whether to go with external chainplates (appx $3000), or internal ones. I like the idea of external chainplates: 1: no hole in the deck to leak into the lockers and 2: no knees to worry about, just a g4 backing plate. However, issues relating to cost, recalculating bend angles, loss in pointing ability and making drawings for the metallurgist etc may push me to just cave-in and replace with standard internal chainplates.

Hey, thanks for checking up on me!

Matt

Matt,

If you get in over your head, call me. Our number is on our website.

Charlie
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:58   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
thanks for the warning!

I'll take a few deck core samples here and there and see how bad the core is. Thankfully, this is not a teak decked boat, so there's really only a limited number of places the water could be entering.

Depending how the bowsprit looks once I've removed and inspected it, I may just need re-gluing, or possibly replacement. From what I can tell, it's a laminate of teak and some kind of fir tree. We'll see how well the fir tree held up.

This is what we did with that:

http://s234.beta.photobucket.com/use...sprit.mp4.html
Old 11-12-2012, 19:43   #19

Boat: Tayana 37
Thanks Charlie! That's some impressive woodworking. I'm hoping not to have to make a new bowsprit, but just glue the delaminations with cascophen and then seal the bowsprit with??? (epoxy, then varnish? Does that sound reasonable? Also, do Baggett & sons make T37 chainplates too?
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 08:34   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The issue with that is the fir sections. Once they go soft, no use in trying to reuse. This is your rig you are discussing.... We can have them fabbed up locally.
Old 12-02-2021, 21:15   #21

Quote:
Hi,

Over the Summer, I just did a bunch of little jobs to acquaint myself with the boat, so I haven't attacked the major issue: Rigging and deck core.

Just finished covering the boat (mast up) for the Winter two weeks ago (I have 1day/week to work on the boat), so the plan is to work on the deck while she's covered, then work on: chainplates, knees, bowsprit, standing rigging, in the spring. I'm hoping to leave the mast in situ

Still debating whether to go with external chainplates (appx $3000), or internal ones. I like the idea of external chainplates: 1: no hole in the deck to leak into the lockers and 2: no knees to worry about, just a g4 backing plate. However, issues relating to cost, recalculating bend angles, loss in pointing ability and making drawings for the metallurgist etc may push me to just cave-in and replace with standard internal chainplates.

Hey, thanks for checking up on me!

Matt
Has any owner made solid glass knees and eliminated the rot issues?
CruiseEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 04:27   #22

Boat: Tayana 37

well, sort of.

I ended up going with external chainplates, with internal G10 backing plates where the knees used to be.

So it's coinceivable you could laminate layer upon layer of G10 until you had the correct thickness to locate your CP under the original through deck hole.

Matt
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tayana 37