Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 648
Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

I'll be making a gelcoat repair to my hull using the preval sprayer and considering not using tape to protect the rest of hull from overspray. Using tape may leave a visible line between the repair and the rest of the boat even if I was able to feather the repair and turn the edge of the tape under itself, which seems like a good idea to lessen the chance of a hard line. Since I'll be using 320 grit sponge, 400 grit and then 600 grit on a block prior to 3M imperial compound after the gel completely cures, it would seem that any overspray would be removed from the surrounding area?? Plus the surrounding area would not be sanded before the gel was sprayed and thus would(should) be removed easily via the sanding and rubbing coupound.

One other question while I'm thinking about it. When using wax gel is a wipe down with acetone needed to remove the wax prior to sanding? I read somewhere that just sanding will be sufficient in removing it. This if after spraying and I know that an acetone wipedown(2 rag method) is needed prior to spraying
__________________

__________________
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59   #2
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I'll be making a gelcoat repair to my hull using the preval sprayer and considering not using tape to protect the rest of hull from overspray. Using tape may leave a visible line between the repair and the rest of the boat even if I was able to feather the repair and turn the edge of the tape under itself, which seems like a good idea to lessen the chance of a hard line. Since I'll be using 320 grit sponge, 400 grit and then 600 grit on a block prior to 3M imperial compound after the gel completely cures, it would seem that any overspray would be removed from the surrounding area?? Plus the surrounding area would not be sanded before the gel was sprayed and thus would(should) be removed easily via the sanding and rubbing coupound.

One other question while I'm thinking about it. When using wax gel is a wipe down with acetone needed to remove the wax prior to sanding? I read somewhere that just sanding will be sufficient in removing it. This if after spraying and I know that an acetone wipedown(2 rag method) is needed prior to spraying


Correct, no tape for no hard line. Do NOT try to roll tape, that just doesn't work. Starting to wet sand with 320 will cause you all sorts of trouble, much too coarse. You'll never get the 320 scratches out. I usually go straight to 800 DA film discs or 800 wet on a block (no hand sanding!), but I shoot nice. You may want to start with 600 wet, or at the worst 400. Starting with 600 or finer really makes a big difference. 400 dry for prep, then 600,800, 1000, 1500, and polish it. No coarse scratches to get out. 800 cuts almost as fast as 400 if you use fresh grit a lot.
__________________

__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 648
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

Thanks minaret. I read some of your posts on the nauticat work and really appreciate your contribution to us with less experience in boat "projects". The photos really help!
__________________
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

3M make transition and soft edge tapes just for this purpose. I have used them and they work well.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48   #5
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
3M make transition and soft edge tapes just for this purpose. I have used them and they work well.

Mark


I disagree. Fogging off is superior every time.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49   #6
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Thanks minaret. I read some of your posts on the nauticat work and really appreciate your contribution to us with less experience in boat "projects". The photos really help!

Happy to help!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I disagree. Fogging off is superior every time.
You disagree that 3M makes these tapes, or do you disagree that I have used them and they worked well?

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:26   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
bstreep's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX/Port Aransas, TX
Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Posts: 2,274
Re: Tape to protect hull from gel overspray

Do de-wax before sanding. The sanding will go better, and you won't be grinding wax into your hull.
__________________

__________________
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.