Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35   #1

Boat: 1979 28' Mariner Sloop
Taking on Water, Depth Sounder

We are sleuthing our way through a pesky leak. If our transducer (which is not currently operational) is a through hull mounted device can we tell from inside the boat looking at the back of it? Will it be obvious from the outside? We recently had her out of the water and there was nothing that resembles pics I have looked at online. Ultimately my question is: Is there ever a transducer that breaches the hull but is completely seamless on the outside?
We think we have determined that the leak can't be at the transducer because it is not the type that breaches the hull but we want all the advice we can get to make us feel certain. Thanks people!!
Wunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Taking on water, depth sounder

Wunu;

Yes, many transducers are designed to not protrude below the hull at all. You will find them most often on racing boats. We had a B&G depth transducer that was removeable, but when in place was flush with the outside skin of the hull.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08   #3

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

The transducer for my depth sounder is a skimmer type, but I simply epoxied it to the inside of the hull and the pulses transmit thru the fiberglass. I get a very good picture well past 600 ft. No holes, no leaks.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we have a flush mounted thru hull transducer but you can easily see it from the inside of the hull. sometimes when i realize it is plastic i worry about how strong it is etc. i also have one epoxied to the inside of the hull with no hole.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ericson used to have TRansducer, nonfunctional, protruding via a piece of rotted wood thru her hull.... i decided to rem0ve that potential for disaster during her last haul--- have had no problems since---- many times i have seen that piece of wood rot and cause problems....gooood luck..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19   #6

Boat: 1979 28' Mariner Sloop
Sorry all. I have the worst luck clearly asking my questions on here!?! I'll get better at it.
Gonesail might have got closest to what I was trying to ask.
Did you mean to say that your thru hull transducer is clearly visible from the outside? I would expect to see it from the inside. I appreciate all of your responses, I am not trying to find a transducer I will like, I am trying to figure out if my port side leak could be from my transducer. You can not see my transducer from outside the boat. If that means it doesn't penetrate the hull, I can rule it out as my leak source.
Again, I am so so new to all this boat maintenance I am grateful for you taking the time to respond.
Wunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:24   #7

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

If you want to know whether it leaks, follow its cable down until you find it inside and then observe the area around it.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:28   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Perhaps walk into a chandlery, grab any transducer and have a look? Then go to the boat and compare. The thru-hull type has a pretty specific looks and just by looking at the back side of it (!) you can (I think) tell it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 16:13   #9

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunu View Post
Sorry all. I have the worst luck clearly asking my questions on here!?! I'll get better at it.
Gonesail might have got closest to what I was trying to ask.
Did you mean to say that your thru hull transducer is clearly visible from the outside? I would expect to see it from the inside. I appreciate all of your responses, I am not trying to find a transducer I will like, I am trying to figure out if my port side leak could be from my transducer. You can not see my transducer from outside the boat. If that means it doesn't penetrate the hull, I can rule it out as my leak source.
Again, I am so so new to all this boat maintenance I am grateful for you taking the time to respond.
It sounds as though you don't know where to look for your transducer inside or outside. If you can see your transducer inside you would know if there was a leak around it. IMHO AFAIK. Transducer position is best where there are less bubbles etc. So you need to search both sides of the keel as close to the cutting edge as possible looking out from the keel port and starboard most transducer are fitted vertically as close to the keel as possible. have you tasted the water in the bilge is it salty or fresh, do you have a leak through your stanchions, sail track, garage, grab rails etc. You would see it inside it would be either bonded vertically to the inside of the hull and possibly outside depending on the type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thru hull.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	26929  
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder, water