Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2007, 15:45   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Table Design

Does anyone have pictures of a table that is free standing but easily folds down into a bunk. The table that we have in the dinette doesn't fold down and there is no place to store it when we want to use the dinette as a bunk.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 18:08   #2

Charlie,

Our table does not fold down but is does facilitate a double in the main salon. The settee is L shaped and the table is supported on 2- 2" Ø SS pipes which have a flange which faces the settee and is at the level of the settee "base". The two SS pipes have pipes inside them which have the flange to attach the table top. These two pipes can slide up...and are set at the desired height by sliding in a 1/4" Ø ss pin into one of a series of vertical holes drilled through both pipes (like those extending poles) raising the table height and permitting room for inserting the back cushion which serves to "widen" the berth. A plywood panel which lives under the settee cushion is removed and then inserted to rest on the two pipe flanges and a long teak batten at the front edge of the settee. The main support pipes are connected with a pipe and they each have a flange which is bolted through to the floor. The look like an H from the side..with flanges in the bottom to bolt to the sole.

This turns our settee which is about 28" deep to a 48" wide double berth. You can't roll out either! And the table top is still available to put things on.. and the berth is a bit more "private".

It takes no more than 2 minutes to set this up.

The description sounds a bit complicated, but it is a very simple mechanism and we can even remove the table top and leave the base pipes behind... but there is no need to and no need to store the table. You can even have it set for breakfast and go to bed!

I think the boat maker had this fabricated but it is not very difficult to have it made up... a few welds and some drilling and the right size pipes... a piece of plywood and you don't even need another cushion!

If you are interested I can take some pix and email you.. Let me know.

Jef
sv Shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 18:53   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Jef:

I'm having a hard time picturing the structure when you have the time please take some pictures for me. Thanks.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 19:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Jef, when you get the pictures please post on the Photo Gallery for the rest of us.

Thanks, Deep
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 17:07   #5

I'll take some as soon as I clean up and then figure out how to post them...

Jef
sv Shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote