Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2011, 16:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Ta Chiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by addboy View Post
She is in the water, with lots of growth on the hull. Motor is suppose to be good. Batteries did not have a charge. I'm thinking it will take about 30k to 40k to get her back in shape.
Dave
there is a 1984 ct 34 at my old marina that I am trying to work out a deal for and it is in good shape except the post at the bowsprit is bad and needs to be fixed ...It has a "crack" at the starboard coaming about 4 ins. long ...nothing else wrong that I have been able to see ..It is in fresh water so maybe that has something to do with the not so bad condition...wondering if it will show more signs of abuse if I take her to the ocean....no blisters and has aluminum spars..no soft spots anywhere and no apparent leaks...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 13:54   #17

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
She is in the water, with lots of growth on the hull. Motor is suppose to be good. Batteries did not have a charge. I'm thinking it will take about 30k to 40k to get her back in shape.
Dave
30-40k won't touch the decks if they require doing. biggest problem with these boats, also electrical will be an issue with this age unless recent refit is complete,

Have a mermaid 43,1984, beautiful boat, strong as hell, cheap stainless, laid up in cuba when we found a 1999 CT 56. still there languishing away!!!
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:10   #18

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Did you buy the boat?

I'm currently restoring a CT 47 in Southern California. I have looked at many online and could give you a few pointers. Several have been restored because it was worth it, many of the upgrades done seem to be common, every time I get a good idea I look online and find that someone already upgraded the same way. Deck will have to be done, refrigerator blocks engine access portside,... etc, i got a million of them.

Good news... sails like a rocket, built like a battleship, freaking far east stainless can come apart in your hands though!
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 05:05   #19

dbraymer,

thanks for the reply.
how many years and how much $$$$ are we talking here?
I love the lines and the room as a live aboard but the particular example here is rough.
if it could be bought a reasonable price lets say....$15k....then I am probably looking at 80k to get it back to "good" condition?

so for my thinking for 95k i could avoid a lot of time spent on the hard, by finding another example.

I am only a few months from purchase and am getting very excited.

what do you think?
sailorjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 06:46   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
30-40k won't touch the decks if they require doing. biggest problem with these boats, also electrical will be an issue with this age unless recent refit is complete,

Have a mermaid 43,1984, beautiful boat, strong as hell, cheap stainless, laid up in cuba when we found a 1999 CT 56. still there languishing away!!!

Wrong. We're doing a Tayana 37 for 8K and did a Hunter 54 for 8K.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 07:07   #21

thanks,

that sounds reasonable enough but you are just talking about taking the teak off the decks right?
sailorjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Nope, taking the teak off and repairing core issues where found. If extensive it may run as high as 10K but it's strictly T&M. It also includes paint but non-skid would be an added value item.

This is of course, at our Winter Special rate. Job booked after March 1st would be at our normal rate of $40 Hr. A 20% increase but no where near 30-40K. I'd love to get 30K for a job like that. I could retire in a few years
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 09:40   #23

Quote:
No, he is sealing it "as wear is". looked at the boat and found it have some water damage from not being opened in the past year. Deck will need some work. Offered 10K. Sealer came down to 20K. I would not move up any more. He re-listed boat at 35K or best offer.
Thx
Dave
Even 10K might be too much if the seller won't sell subject to survey. You have to ask yourself whether the seller knows about serious problems that he does not want a buyer to know about. At a minimum you need to have someone check out the engine. Repower alone would be 10k or more easily even if you repower with a good used engine.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:35   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

so far i have less than 8k into my formosa after 10k purchase price, and i am sailing her.....repair as i go
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 16:29   #25

Boat: CT47 Ketch

An old friend was readying a allaleuyah 38 (spelling no doubt) for a world cruise. He had bought the hull, deck, rigging. and engine... a "kit boat". I asked him if he though that this had made sense monetarily. He replied "when I bought the kit boat, I saved about 65 thousand, I could have purchased the vessel completed. I now have 100 thousand in RECEIPTS, it is two years later, and I am still working on the boat!"
So I followed up by asking: " So If I really want to sail around the world? He said " buy an Islander 36 and leave."

And my dad once said "The problem with boats is trying to figure out if you bought it to work on it, or to try and go somewhere!.

If you are not really handy, you have no business buying a boat this big in bad shape. You will end up watching your dream die. A smaller vessel in better shape will make more sense.

You will need lots of time, and a continuing source of funds, say at least a thousand a month or so, if you do all the work yourself. Qualified help is extremely expensive, unqualified help, even more so.

There are a few significant benefits to working on a near complete restore, you will probably just redo the electrical (not just the electronics) and old electrical is usually a problem on any boat 20 years old or so. You will probably redo all the tanks, and that is another thing on older boats that you are better off. On this particular boat, the deck will go South in 25-30 years, and this is very labor intensive. I am doing mine now.

The market is very weak, you can probably get a pretty damn good boat ready to go for the price you are considering, plus the amount you want to put in.

like this boat with this deck to be redone?

DonB
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 04:19   #26

Hello addboy,
Just wandering if you got the boat, hope to hear from you.
I'm looking at a 1978 Formosa and I think it was built at the Ta Chiao Yard.
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 04:42   #27

I was not able to work out a deal, so I'm still in the market for a boat. When the right one at the right time comes along I will no it. Keep in touch and God speed.
addboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:43   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxiam View Post
Hello addboy,
Just wandering if you got the boat, hope to hear from you.
I'm looking at a 1978 Formosa and I think it was built at the Ta Chiao Yard.
is it a specific one you seek?? mine was built 1976 in formosa boat builders yard. some were ta chiao, and some were other yards.....

as for formosa/ct/etc being in fresh water--BAD IDEA these teak wood fittd boats do rotten things in fresh water-- teak is not a fresh water wood. needs salt water to remain good.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:56   #29

No looking for 40' to 44' live abourd boat that I can head out on in a few years. Loke Morgans, Irwins, Tayan's and Endeaour also.
Thx
addboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 08:38   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
is it a specific one you seek?? mine was built 1976 in formosa boat builders yard. some were ta chiao, and some were other yards.....

as for formosa/ct/etc being in fresh water--BAD IDEA these teak wood fittd boats do rotten things in fresh water-- teak is not a fresh water wood. needs salt water to remain good.
Then why do I see so many of them with blue plastic tarps on them?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ta chiao