Well I went through a few small experimental mixes with my non-blush, silica, micro spheres and wood flour. That gave me an idea of where I would use what for various applications. But for my fairing project
I ended up with just adding micro spheres with the epoxy. A couple of tries found the right mix for a trowel/squeegee grade application.
I ended up stripping all the paint
on the center hull
topside down to any original epoxy or filler. Then sanded and applied Aluthane as a primer. Put the mud over that. I like the Aluthane a lot and have used it before. It really stands up to all kinds of weather
. It's an aluminum
moisture cured urethane and can be used as a primer or finish coat. I've got a bit more to do on the stern before I paint
. But the whole thing so far only took me less than 40 hours. I still have the ama topsides to do but maybe I'll wait on that.
In fact, I've had some family
issues come up that may change my plans so I may just keep her on the hard
this year and continue working over the summer. I did put the boat for sale
on Saiingtexas but now I may have to get more serious if I am not gong to be able to use her as much as I want. I don't need to sell and it doesn't cost me much to keep but . . . things may change.