Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-05-2016, 08:16   #16

Boat: Brown Searunner 31 #108 - Drole D'Oiseau
Re: System Three Quikfair vs. Interlux Watertite Epoxy Filler

Right. I'm talking about additives to epoxy. Just trying to consider the best additives for my application.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 15-05-2016, 08:33   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would just buy something premixed, as Minaret suggests. Some combinations in resin are very hard to sand.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:00   #18

I buy a non blush epoxy from epoxy products and have used it a bunch of times with pretty good success using wood flour and microballoons.

I also use other additives for adhesives and such with real good success. I don't want to go out and buy something pre-mixed for every single thing I need to do with epoxy.

So I'm just looking for something to increase my knowledge and help me produce a consistency that I want for my application that's less expensive also.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-06-2016, 17:53   #19

Well I went through a few small experimental mixes with my non-blush, silica, micro spheres and wood flour. That gave me an idea of where I would use what for various applications. But for my fairing project I ended up with just adding micro spheres with the epoxy. A couple of tries found the right mix for a trowel/squeegee grade application.

I ended up stripping all the paint on the center hull topside down to any original epoxy or filler. Then sanded and applied Aluthane as a primer. Put the mud over that. I like the Aluthane a lot and have used it before. It really stands up to all kinds of weather and water. It's an aluminum moisture cured urethane and can be used as a primer or finish coat. I've got a bit more to do on the stern before I paint. But the whole thing so far only took me less than 40 hours. I still have the ama topsides to do but maybe I'll wait on that.

In fact, I've had some family issues come up that may change my plans so I may just keep her on the hard this year and continue working over the summer. I did put the boat for sale on Saiingtexas but now I may have to get more serious if I am not gong to be able to use her as much as I want. I don't need to sell and it doesn't cost me much to keep but . . . things may change.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:07   #20

So to continue on...I don't know if anyone is reading this but now the topside of the main hull looks pretty good (by my standards). It is smooth but not quite flat to the visual eye. So now I am asking myself how important is it? I did some more sanding with a palm sander with 120 grit but it doesn't seem to help much. I suppose I could do another mix and squeegee. I'm sure that will help but also require a lot more work since it still will need to be sanded to make a "perfectly to the eye smooth."

So here is a pic. I'm not sure how easy it is to see the smoothness. Looks way more horrible than it is. Maybe today I'll put some quick white paint on. that will make it more visible in a photo.

Opinions always welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160523_131333_resized_1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	125474  
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37   #21

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Vinylester resin is actually more resistant to moisture and chemicals than epoxy.
Not true..
http://www.compresdev.co.uk/CRD%20Th...0Polyester.pdf
Old 04-06-2016, 15:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
I'm a fan of straight epoxy resin (your choice of brand) with an appropriate filler for the job.
Can do anything with the same resin from bonding to glassing to filling and coating.
One product to store/buy with many uses!
I'm with you. Today I took off one of the afromosia horizontal beams and found some beginning rot in the okume ply below. Because I have my epoxy I could just add the appropriate filler and thinner (if needed) to make the repair before glassing over again. N o need to go to the marine store and purchase any specialty stuff.

Also, with some of these brands you don't know exactly what quality you are getting. Best to already have stuff you need on hand. For me with the wooden boat this is particularly important.
Old 04-06-2016, 15:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Good article.

Tags
epoxy, Interlux, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: