Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2006, 07:28   #1

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Swing Keel Repair

We just purchased a 1976 37' Irwin Mk III sailboat with a swing keel that is not operational. The previous owner had promised to fix it, but that didn't happen (a long story). I haven't looked at it, but I am told that the problem is with a broken cable and that the boat must be pulled to make repairs.

We are talking with a boatyard about making the repairs, but of course they can say how long it will take until they actually look at it. Can anyone tell me how difficult this job should be and if parts are readily available.

Thanks, Ron
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 12:48   #2

This should be a quick job, if the parts are available and there are no complications. It's a simple matter to remove the old pennant, run a new pennant down its sheath, where it exits under the hull, then attach its respective ends to both the rudder and the lifting device (winch, whatever).

Rather like running a new clutch or accelerator cable in a car.
Old 27-04-2006, 17:21   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ron, I would guess the boatyard doesn't want to make the estimate because they are unfamiliar with the details. I don't know them myself, but the usual situation is that the new cable (and sometimes a high-tech fiber is better than steel cable) has to be laid through and then possibly run past a sheeve and tied into the centerboard. Without knowing EXACTLY how it runs and attaches, you can't guess the labor. They might have to drop the board (exposing them pushing out the hinge pin) or it might swing down far enough to work without dropping the board from the pin. Dunno.
In either case I wouldn't expect that it HAD to be hauled, but rather that manhandcling the centerboard will be simpler ashore than having a diver working under the hull. Again, "it depends".
I would try to contact some Irwin owners and ask them if they had the details of what was involved, if they had actually been hands-on, or even better if they had any line drawings showing exactly what has to be done.
Assuming the boat IS in the water and the board HAS been down, yes, hauling would be a good idea in any case so the centerboard trunk can be cleaned out and painted with antifouling paint. If the board has been down for months, there may be so much growth in the trunk that the board couldn't be raised anyway.
I suppose the water there is still too cold for a casual looksee...but it might be worth getting a diver or someone with an AquaCam to take a peek at it before the hauling, to see what's down there.
Then again, hauling and making CERTAIN of what's under a boat is always a good idea if you are buying it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 20:27   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Ron, you can find information on the Irwin site. Here is a link to the centerboard description

http://irwinyachts.com/Drawings-Manu...ng/page_02.jpg

hth

Phil
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 18:21   #5

Thank you for your useful responses, especially the irwinyacht site. We made arrangement a boatyard.

Ron
Old 16-05-2006, 15:26   #6

We got the centerboard repaired. We did it ourselves with the help of a friend and it wasn't too hard. The only problem was that the boatyard would not put it high enough on stands to remove the keel. They helped out by raising it high enough in the sling so we could do the job.

If anyone else needs to have this kind of work done, you can read more about it in our on-line journal www.questeria.info/journal or contact me and I will give the gory details.

Ron
Old 16-05-2006, 19:02   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Glad things went well with the centerboard. I read you web site. Welcome to the world of boating<G> Aren't "new to you" boats fun...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel