Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 14:14   #1

Boat: Krogen 38
survey for core moisture

Hello again,

Am looking at a 30 year old boat that has been in fresh water for 25 without a haul out. Has bottom paint but not sure about barrier coating under that. (Is that standard at commissioning?) Anyway, the manufacturer had this to say about a survey to determine water content in the core:

"A surveyor that is well versed in both capacitance and radiometric moisture meters could establish a “base line” from readings taken inside the hull. From there it would be possible to identify the area with the most deviation from the base line and a small section of the inner laminate could be removed to expose the core material and get confirmation of the condition of the core. I have no idea as to how far from Lake Mead you would have to go to find someone with these qualifications, and of course the farther it is the more costly it is.
Like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder/buyer. The technology exists to give you a very good idea of the condition of things you cannot observe, but you will have to make the call as to the feasibility of having it done."

Sounds extremely sensible to me. Is this a highly unusual thing to ask for though? I wonder because two surveyors have told me already that they don't have any idea how to do that.
Any recommendations for a surveyor in the Las Vegas area or within 200 miles who specializes in this type of evaluation? Thanks in advance for any referrals!
winchwench46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 17:11   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
check the BoatUS website. It lists approved surveyors A moisture meter is pretty standard, at least on the coasts
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, survey