Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 15:53   #1

Boat: IP 40
Sunbrella Supreme for Bimini/Dodger

Howdy Folks,

As part of our upcoming arch project we're looking to either re-work the bimini for a little added height (aft of the boom) or possibly integrate portions of it into the arch.

Anyway, my question is around Sunbrella Supreme as a fabric choice. We've been considering either Navy or possibly black as the new color (currently hunter green). All 3 options are very dark and our current (regular Sumbrella) bimini gets pretty warm and radiates heat down. I've heard and read that the supreme, with it's lighter weight and color lining prevents some of that radiated heat. We also like the look of the light fabric on the inside to brighten things up, but I'm curious if anyone here can comment on if there is any impact on actual heat radiated down through the fabric?

Realistically, we'll probably end up adding some flexible solar panels on top anyway, so insulation isn't the primary goal, but I'm still curious.

Thanks,
EB
Old 26-10-2015, 11:25   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Sunbrella Supreme for Bimini/Dodger

On the custom enclosure I made for my boat, I selected the light interior color, Linen, to both reduce the interior solar heat gain and to make the interior lighter when buttoned-up. I am happy with that choice.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 13:18   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

For dodgers and biminis I strongly recommend SeaMark. It is a Sunbrella outer side melded to a vinyl side. Mine is going on 10 yrs old, like new. No tears, no leaks. Clean with Murphy's oil soap.

Cost was about 10% more than straight Sunbrella. Considering that the Bimini and dodger are some of the more expensive pieces of canvas work. It made sense to me.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:20   #4

Thanks Cabo,

I've been checking out Seamark and it sounds pretty nice as well. One of the things we really like about the Sunbrella Supreme is the fact that you can get it in Black on the outside (which is our goal) and tan on the inside, so the cockpit is bright. It looks like the Seamark, both sides are the same color, but if there's an option for different colors on each side, then it sounds like an excellent option...
Old 05-01-2016, 17:35   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I think part of it depends on where you are.

I spend most of my time in Florida and the Bahamas. I much prefer darker colors of Sunbrella, currently a medium shade of green, also have had maroon and Marine Blue (loved that!). The darker colors might radiate some heat, but the reduction in glare is worth it to me. That makes the cockpit feel cooler.

I think the sunnier climate is what differentiates me from those folks that want lighter colors in the cockpit.
Gimmee shade lol!
Old 05-01-2016, 18:05   #6

Not a bad point. We've been planning for a black dodger and bimini for a while now. New set of sails will be done in a week or so and they're all coming with black sun covers. The idea of the lighter color on the inside and the fact it's supposed to help with heat radiating down into the cockpit and makes the material completely waterproof are what we've been looking at.

I'm personally not sure I buy into the heat dissipation piece and you raise a good point. Now that I think about it, most of the hats I like have dark lining on inside even those with a lighter bill on top. Never really thought about it, but for mostly tradewinds sailing, the darker color inside could actually be preferable. Thanks, I hadn't really thought about that.

Tags
bimini, dodger