Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-07-2015, 14:19   #16

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Stuffing box Packing break in procedure

Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I have also switched to Ultra-X but I haven't launched yet. Can you let us know why you are so impressed? Less drips, shaft is cooler, etc...

Also, what is your dripping rate? According to the installation instructions, you pack it loose for the first 10-15 hours then adjust for the desired leakage, but they don’t specify what the desired leakage should be.
It also mentions that the staffing box will be hotter than with usual packing because it will act as heat sink - heat from the shaft is transferred to the stuffing box by the packing. To me this is the same with all packing…

I originally set the box to where I was just starting to compress the stuffing. Launched the boat, pulled away from the lift, and went below to check the gland. Water was flowing pretty freely. Turned the cup section (while still motoring) to where I was getting about a drop every ten seconds. Tightened the locknut and must have altered the settings as drips were then about every six seconds.

That was the only adjusting I have done. After 110 hours engine time I get a drip every 4-6 seconds, depending on engine rpm. The stuffing box seems to remain at a temperature somewhere between sea water temp and air temp. Generally, it feels less warm than skin temperature. As a result, I have never bothered to obtain an actual empirical reading, though I have several devices on board to measure temperature. Contrary to posts above, I don't believe I have ever approached 120 F.

I didn't have any instructions, I just purchased some bulk material. Maybe that has helped me get good results

The Ultra-X has a more defined square cross section, was easier to cut and held its shape better while being installed. Note that these are subjective comments, and are in comparison to the GFO installed years prior. It is likely that someone who installs this material everyday may have different opinions. My recollection of the prior install is that I adjusted the gland a few times before I was really happy with it.

I have found that I have zero, or at least imperceptible, dripping while stopped. If I can even approach the longevity of the prior packing I will be pleased. I am more than satisfied. Hope this helps.

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: