Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 16:30   #1

Stuffing box

Hi All
My original brass stuffing box has been in place, though probably serviced, for 30 yrs. It has the screw down cap of grease that lubricates two seals, one each end of the box. The current issue has come from the corrosion on the split ring locking the seal in. The corrosion has destroyed the channel AND the broken the ring. The seal has worked its way out, with the consequential loss of function.

Keeping the seal in is now problematic. So two questions;
A) is there a practical way to secure the seal in place and restore functionality or
B) of all the variety of stuffing boxes, which do you recommend as a new replacement (dripless, synthetic stuffing, grease seals, ...)

The vessel is a 38 ft Swanson cruising yacht with 30hp diesel, and short (1m) shaft with 3 blade non folding prop.
Thanks for your input.
Pitts
Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 18:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Stuffing box

Can't imagine a worse material for a stuffing box than brass. You're lucky you got more than 5 years out of it.

I just installed a Lasdrop dripless, very happy with it but the down side is if it craps out it means a haulout for replacement. A conventional bronze stuffing box can be re-packed in water.
Old 14-10-2017, 22:50   #3

Re: Stuffing box

Thanks Boatpoker. You’re right of course it is bronze. I’d like to be able to change to the new one in the water. Should be possible I think.
Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote