Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 16:31   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Stripping one and two part paint from topsides

I've decided to paint the glass hull on the 22' Herreshoff Eagle I've been working on. I was just about to order an Epifanes product that when applied will tell me if the current paint is a one or two part. Then it occurred to me that since there's are a few places where the surface was very poorly prepped before the application of what is on there now, so aren't i likely going to need Strip all paint completely off anyway? I mean would I ever just sand and fair those areas to smooth with the area around it, do the same with a couple of runs and then just paint the rest as is?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 04:34   #2

Re: Stripping one and two part paint from topsides

Typically you cannot paint over a one part paint with a new two-part urethane system. Take some MEK on a rag soak it and apply it to the area you suspect to be one part paint. The one part paint will degrade quickly. The two part paint is typically Unexpected. Sand off all the one part paint and apply a nice primer and then you can put your two part paint on. I like to use an epoxy primer as a good sealer but you have to make sure that the fiberglass underneath is dry first, or you can have bubbles appear from hydrolysis

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint