Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 15:52   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Old style woodworking

The old styles of wood working are very labor intensive and many depended on having the highest quality wood.

Epoxy resins, glues and fillers have revolutionized wooden boat building.

I believe the book Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction: Wood and West system materials is essential reading for anyone seriously considering building a wooden boat.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 01:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I admit to not being construction familiar with Wharam designed, but aren't they designed for sheet material construction?
This is a recent design, and the only stripper he has designed. The pic I've been able to see show long slim hulls which should be easy to plank.

These are the best pics I've found.

boat building
weedeater64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 01:56   #18

Quote:
The old styles of wood working are very labor intensive and many depended on having the highest quality wood.
Labor intensive yes, but this particular method was devised to make use of throw away wood.

Quote:
Epoxy resins, glues and fillers have revolutionized wooden boat building.

I believe the book Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction: Wood and West system materials is essential reading for anyone seriously considering building a wooden boat.
These guys didn't have epoxy, and some didn't use any glue.
Old 17-10-2009, 02:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Have a look through my threads on my build and pics in my gallery and do some more searches on strip planking.

You don't use nails for strip planking, it adds unnecessary weight, expense and stuffs up the planer blades.

I have built and been involved in more than a few large strip plank boats.................never a nail was used. Temporary screws and staples to hold planks to temporary frames while glue /resin cured, always removed but never any permanent metal.

Square edged planks have mostly been used, far more cost effective than profiled edges.
You may very well have, but "You don't use nails for strip planking, it adds unnecessary weight, expense and stuffs up the planer blades." I beg to differ.
strip planks OK without fiberglass sheath? - The WoodenBoat Forum
Old 17-10-2009, 02:34   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
You may very well have, but "You don't use nails for strip planking, it adds unnecessary weight, expense and stuffs up the planer blades." I beg to differ.
strip planks OK without fiberglass sheath? - The WoodenBoat Forum
I believe you are getting Carvel Planking mixed up with Strip Planking
Old 17-10-2009, 04:31   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
cat man do,

He is not necessarily confusing carvel with strip. Your comment is blatantly incorrect. A standard method of building large, 25knot+ sportfisherman in this part of the world was, and I think still is, by the method I described. I Know what I built.
After viewing the build photos on the Wharram site, I do agree that a lighter method may be more appropriate in this case.

we64, are you able to quote the nailing description for the Wharram?
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 04:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post

I'm confused

The wharram on that site is strip planked, and appears to be glassed in an out in a strip planked composite sandwich.
Old 17-10-2009, 13:47   #23

Quote:
Not yet, I expect the design calls for glass and epoxy, but I don't wish to use those, so I imagine some mods to the scantlings would be in order.

Quote:
The wharram on that site is strip planked, and appears to be glassed in an out in a strip planked composite sandwich.
To ease your confusion, I don't want to use epoxy and glass, just wood and nails.
Old 17-10-2009, 13:59   #24

Quote:
Not yet, I expect the design calls for glass and epoxy, but I don't wish to use those, so I imagine some mods to the scantlings would be in order.

To ease your confusion, I don't want to use epoxy and glass, just wood and nails.
Have fun with that then.
Old 17-10-2009, 14:03   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Interesting project, please keep us informed.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 10:18   #26

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Not yet, I expect the design calls for glass and epoxy, but I don't wish to use those...

Just wood and nails. OK. Got it.

I would reconsider, but that's just me.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 09:07   #27

Boat: pilot cutter
The connection holes are countersunk then plugged with wood plugs, allowing the entire hull to be faired into shape after all of the planking is finished.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 22:10   #28

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
There are about three basic methods of strip planking,the original called for edge nailing over frames,permenant or temporary with steamed in ribs between,no glue,sometimes they were sheathed with thin sheet metal,an improvement was were the planks were edge glued and edge nailed with resorcinal or epoxy with similar framing and sheathed on the outside with light glass cloth,this was common in the 1960-70s,the Harrison Butler Contrversy series of production sailboats built in Maine are a good example,the third method which was pioneered by NewZealand Yacht designer/builder Jim Young called for edge gluing over a mixture of permenant and temp framing with structural glass inside and out,in essence a composite boat with lightweight wood as the core instead of foam or balsa,this third method or some slight variation is i suspect what Wharram will spec for the Cat,Whether or not you edge nail has more to do with planking thickness than anything else,i have built by the second and third methods,on a 64ft honduras mahogany ketch we edge nailed with large bronze ring barb nails,on some cedar composite 34ft monohulls we used air nailers with 3/4" planking, and only glue,no nails with 1/2" planking on a multi,on that lightweight Wharram i would think he would spec thin planking put together without edge nails but epoxy glued and structural glass in and out as Cat man do said.If you wanted to go without glue and glass you would probably need to edge nail, i cant see any reason to go that route to produce an inferior boat.
Please post the structural specs when you recieve the study plans,nice design btw.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 02:07   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
There are about three basic methods of strip planking,the original called for edge nailing over frames,permenant or temporary with steamed in ribs between,no glue,sometimes they were sheathed with thin sheet metal,an improvement was were the planks were edge glued and edge nailed with resorcinal or epoxy with similar framing and sheathed on the outside with light glass cloth,this was common in the 1960-70s,the Harrison Butler Contrversy series of production sailboats built in Maine are a good example,the third method which was pioneered by NewZealand Yacht designer/builder Jim Young called for edge gluing over a mixture of permenant and temp framing with structural glass inside and out,in essence a composite boat with lightweight wood as the core instead of foam or balsa,this third method or some slight variation is i suspect what Wharram will spec for the Cat,Whether or not you edge nail has more to do with planking thickness than anything else,i have built by the second and third methods,on a 64ft honduras mahogany ketch we edge nailed with large bronze ring barb nails,on some cedar composite 34ft monohulls we used air nailers with 3/4" planking, and only glue,no nails with 1/2" planking on a multi,on that lightweight Wharram i would think he would spec thin planking put together without edge nails but epoxy glued and structural glass in and out as Cat man do said.If you wanted to go without glue and glass you would probably need to edge nail, i cant see any reason to go that route to produce an inferior boat.
Please post the structural specs when you recieve the study plans,nice design btw.
Steve.
Still waiting for the study plans, but I'm beginning to fear you're right and He'll call for glass inside and out. Not sure what all the hype is about this stuff though. Are there not wooden boats of 100 some years floating about? Is not wood a proven material far more so than plastic?
Old 24-10-2009, 02:16   #30

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
Dug my study plans for the 'Child of the Sea' outta the bilge,as i suspected theres not really anything in them bout specific building methods aside from its 'strip plank' You may have to email JWD for specifcs
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote