Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2011, 15:33   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
Stretched Canvas Over Plywood Deck

I just picked up an old wooden runabout (about 19' long), and I'm going to try to restore it to it's old glory. Has anyone ever done the stretched canvas treatment over a plywood deck? Any tips on how to go about it would be most appreciated. What kind of canvas? Paint? Varnish? Epoxies? Underlayments? etc etc. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6451.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	32685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6452.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	32686  

Name:	IMG_6453.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	32687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6454.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	32688  

Name:	IMG_6455.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	32689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6456.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	32690  

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 15:47   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
Re: Stretched canvas over plywood deck

You want to use untreated duck canvas, if I remember right a 6 to 8oz cloth. My best results was when I first set a layer of roofing felt in a oil based paint secured with monel staples. Then set your canvas in wet oil base paint and secure the edges with the monel staples. Then go over the top surface of the canvas with more oil base paint rubbing it in with a block of wood. You will now be able to add addtional coats of paint with some light sanding in between to obtain th efinish you desire. This approach will allow some movement that will prevent cracking of the canvas and paint.
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 16:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Stretched canvas over plywood deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho View Post
You want to use untreated duck canvas, if I remember right a 6 to 8oz cloth. My best results was when I first set a layer of roofing felt in a oil based paint secured with monel staples. Then set your canvas in wet oil base paint and secure the edges with the monel staples. Then go over the top surface of the canvas with more oil base paint rubbing it in with a block of wood. You will now be able to add addtional coats of paint with some light sanding in between to obtain th efinish you desire. This approach will allow some movement that will prevent cracking of the canvas and paint.
This is the way they did the Oldtown Whitecap sailboat that I had and an old boyscout canoe..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 18:11   #4

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Re: Stretched Canvas Over Plywood Deck

I have my Dad's 1941 copy of the Popular Mechanics book Build a Boat for Fun or Profit. It describes installing canvas on a Sailing Dinghy of that period'

"After the plywood has been given two or three coats of paint, and this has dried thoroughly you cover the entire deck, including the cockpit with a piece of No. 10 duck canvas. Stretch the canvas over the deck. copper tacking it along the gunwales and transom, afterwhich the edge of the canvas is covered by a rub rail. Next, walk on the canvas over the cockpit which removes the slack before tacking the edge of the cockpit.
It says the canvas is then painted but doesn't mention any details on that.
There are a couple of sketches on the process if you like a scan of them let me know and I'll email them to you
Steve W.
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:37   #5

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Stretched Canvas Over Plywood Deck

Woodenboat has articles about doing this with modern products and methods (xynole (sp?) cloth & epoxy) as well as with some old (canvas) and new (glue/paints) combinations, depending upon whether you want a repair "as original" or "better than new" - or anywhere in between. You will probably want to start by making sure the hull & deck are properly supported, so they stay fair. You don't want to have a slight off-twist made permanent by a repair.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, plywood