Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 05:03   #1

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M
Stern tube / shaft log

Hi, could stainless steel tube be used for a shaft log / stern tube. I see Glen L offer the shaft log in aluminum or bronze, FRP yacht changing sail drive to shaft drive, any suppliers recommended , thanks in advance
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:30   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Stern tube / shaft log

Stainless is a poor choice; bronze is good.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:48   #3

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Yep, agree, bronze hands down better for shaft log. Stainless can develop serious crevice corrosion in places where it is entrained in hull underwater. Bronze is much more inert, and with a little bit of catholic protection will last forever.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 21:23   #4

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Bronze, or G10
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:57   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Many trawlers like ours came with a SS stern tube. Ours is about 7 feet long. They are subject to issues but mostly from electrolysis. They can also suffer from corrosion, but that isn't what usually does them in. If I had my preference, it would be bronze but it too can suffer the same fate. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:45   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, I pulled my bronze stern tube a looksee after about 30+ years service; it was perfect and so was refitted
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:29   #7

Bronze is superior to any grade of SS below the waterline for fiittings and fasteners, you would rarely see ss prop struts, thru hulls etc. Copper is another readily available metal that works well but these days we often will use G10 or FRP for items like stern tubes, its easy to buy, reasonably priced and easy to make your own if you are so inclined.

Steve.
Old 10-10-2014, 23:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Bronze is superior to any grade of SS below the waterline for fiittings and fasteners, you would rarely see ss prop struts, thru hulls etc. Copper is another readily available metal that works well but these days we often will use G10 or FRP for items like stern tubes, its easy to buy, reasonably priced and easy to make your own if you are so inclined.

Steve.
Sorry what's G10 and assume FRP would be a type of fibre wound "pipe"..... Sorry not familiar with these term in "darkest Africa "
What is the correct grade of bronze and stainless to use for the stern tube, and and handrails fittings etc on deck.... Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2014, 13:57   #9

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

If the hull is aluminum, have to go with SS. Just like seacocks.
Steel may have the same issue. That would explain why SS is offered for sale, not bronze.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 11-10-2014, 20:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrest View Post
Sorry what's G10 and assume FRP would be a type of fibre wound "pipe"..... Sorry not familiar with these term in "darkest Africa "
What is the correct grade of bronze and stainless to use for the stern tube, and and handrails fittings etc on deck.... Thanks in advance
G10 is an epoxy/glass laminate made up of many layers of glass cloth, FRP is a similar product but polyester resin, while the G10 is the higher quality product FRP would be more than adequate in a polyester boat, i see no reason to use metal for the stern tube in a glass boat. If you can't buy it locally as i said it is easy to make your own by wrapping glass around a mandrel to a thickness of about 1/4". Im not certain which bronze alloy to use, probably silicone bronze, i have not actually used bronze, i have always used heavy wall copper on all cold molded and cedar strip boats i have built in the past but would probably use G10 today. I would not use any grade of stainless steel for this. Type 316 SS is typical for deck hardware.

Steve.
Old 11-10-2014, 20:16   #11

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

G10 is a fiberglass/epoxy composite cured under heat and pressure and its mechanical properties approach alu. prefab tube is available from Macmaster-carr and others. I used 3" OD X 2"ID for an 1 1/4" shaft with vesconite bearings.

FRP is fiber reinforced plastic
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 20:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
If the hull is aluminum, have to go with SS. Just like seacocks.
Steel may have the same issue. That would explain why SS is offered for sale, not bronze.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Im sure that you would use welded in aluminum on an aluminum boat and steel or ss welded in on a steel boat, i cant imagine using a ss stern tube on an aluminum boat.

Steve.
Old 17-10-2014, 11:37   #13

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Bronze is much more inert, and with a little bit of catholic protection will last forever.
Does catholic protection mean just checking on it every Sunday and ignoring it the rest of the week?
GuidoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:40   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

unfortunately mine is stainless. i much prefer bronze.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 07:51   #15

Pm sent