Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 13:48   #16

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Steering Help!!!

yes there are bearings. there is load bearing at the skeg pintle and bearing loaded at the point of entry at the hull. These are bearings. On my boat I can throw the rudder arm over using no mechanical advantage when moored. Were I to sail and force the helm against the balance of movement and sail set there is resistance. Not sure you have a problem. Is this a new to you boat? Are you an experienced sailor? please fill in some details.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:03   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 45RC

To answer the question on modern thrust materials, I know that when my friend and engineer worked on the guides for my sliding swim platform there were many choices for guide material based on wear and friction. I can get a more defined answer if you like.
JimWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:28   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 45RC

After looking at the diagrams I might ask the designer about extending the leading edge of the rudder if the load is heavier under way and increasing with speed.
JimWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:37   #19

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Thickening the rear edge will improve the effectiveness but do little for the forces you are feeling. More area forward of the hinge will definitely help but avoid floating rope snags, just a bendable bar to the tip of the rudder will avoid most while sailing.
Old 29-01-2012, 10:23   #20

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45

Sorry to have misunderstood your original response on the bearings. Yes there would be a tremendous load at the point were the rudder post enters the hull. I might end up putting an actual roller style bearing top and bottom. We have owned this boat for five years and sailed it mainly on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, but will be taking it south to the Caribbean. I am still hoping that the original designer will have a solution.
Regards,
Paul
Sea Dancer V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering