Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2014, 16:20   #46

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to pacific_voyager
Re: Steering Cables - Steel or Stainless Steel ?

Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Am steel is very easy to splice. Easy to have spare on board. If you needed to fix it you could without having terminal ends or wire splices. If you can do a eye splice in double braid you can do it easier in amsteel. The lashing is equally simple. Cutting edge was 3 or 4 years ago. I've had this inboard for uhhh maybe it's been 4 years. It has at least 4000 miles on it. I used fittings from colligo.. Looks brand new. Had it off last year to check it. I might have been cutting edge but it's proven now.if by chance it broke I can make a new section without going to a rigging shop o press new fittings. I kept the old stainless onboard for a while those are removed now. Cheap enough so I spliced an extra set. To re place all I have to do is a simple lashing
Hi this is Jeff on KP44 Beatrix. I want to know how the Dyneema steering cable worked out for you. I have to replace the steering cable and am considering Dyneema or Dyneema Dux instead of wire rope.

I did not find you in the Peterson Cutter Yahoo group so I hope I can connect with you this way.

pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 16:46   #47

Re: Steering Cables - Steel or Stainless Steel ?

Hey jeff,
My KP has the older quadrant. I used large thimbles at the quadrant and then a seizing with rigging thimbles to tension the amsteel below the pedestal. I have had to tighten them after a few months of sailing. I think my lashing was slipping. Changed technique and that seems better. No signs of chafe or other issue. Hope that helps.

sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

cables, steering

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: