Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 16:17   #1

Steel Sailboat Construction

Good morning everybody

I was wonderi, when i do read steel hull, it mean is marine grade steel or is just iron?

Because a friend of mine, who studied in a marine school, told me that container ship, passenger ship, ecc are just big pieces of iron welded together...

Someone can confirm that?

I've read about light steel meaning iron with 0,6 or 6% of carbon inside, in italy we call it sweet steel, so romantic

Thanks
Stefano
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:57   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Steel Sailboat Construction

Where I come from steel is what you use in this day and age to build a welded vessel.
Iron, would require rivets to fasten plates together and is still a brittle material

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 18:16   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Iron is something from the 19th century. Nowadays Corten steel is popular. It's great for bridges so you don't have to paint them. It forms an oxide layer that holds up over time. For a boat that you are going to paint regular mild steel is the thing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 18:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

What we call "mild steel" common.y called "A36"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_steel

"A type of steel in which carbon is the primary alloying element, with the level of carbon contained in a steel being one of the most important factors governing its mechanical properties. Mild steel has no more than 1.65% manganese, 0.6% silicon or 0.6% copper. Mild steel is available with varying levels of formability. The more formable grades are typically more costly than the less formable grades. Also called carbon steel."

A36 CHARACTERISTICS

ASTM A36 plate is a low carbon steel that exhibits good strength coupled with formability. It is easy to machine and fabricate and can be securely welded. A36 is a common structural steel plate that can be galvanized to provide increased corrosion resistance.

APPLICATIONS

A36 plate can be used for a wide range of applications, depending on the thickness and corrosion resistance of the alloy. Some of the products manufactured using A36 structural steel plate are:

Buildings, including pre-fabricated buildings, warehouses, industrial and commercial structures
Cabinets, enclosures and housings
Pipe and tubing
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 03:36   #5

Thanks for the answer

I found this very useful

S275JR | Acciai da Costruzione

In italy is Fe 430B, as FE= iron, pratically for us is iron, BUT it's cold sweet steel, being 99% iron...

Can you please confir this can be easly welded using electrodes (just to be sure we are talking about the same thing)?
Old 27-11-2015, 04:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The higher yield strength is the primary justification for the use of Corten steel for metal boats, rather than imagining there to be any possible corrosion benefits. Although Corten tends to rust much more slowly than mild steel, whether a boat is built of mild steel or of Corten steel it still must be sandblasted and painted everywhere both inside and out. Corten is just as easy to weld and cut as mild steel, so aside from the slightly greater cost of Corten, it is to be recommended for all steel vessels having a steel plate thickness of less than 3/16 inch.

"Cor-Ten A" is also known as ASTM A-242, which is an older specification for the current ASTM A-606 (usually for sheet under 3/16") and ASTM A-588 (usually for plate over 3/16" thickness). ASTM A-588 is also known as "Cor-Ten B" and is the more commonly encountered current spec for Cor-Ten, with a minimum yield strength of 50k psi in plates of greater thickness.

More ➥ Metal Boats For Blue Water - Kasten Marine Design, Inc.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 08:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The higher yield strength is the primary justification for the use of Corten steel for metal boats, rather than imagining there to be any possible corrosion benefits. Although Corten tends to rust much more slowly than mild steel, whether a boat is built of mild steel or of Corten steel it still must be sandblasted and painted everywhere both inside and out. Corten is just as easy to weld and cut as mild steel, so aside from the slightly greater cost of Corten, it is to be recommended for all steel vessels having a steel plate thickness of less than 3/16 inch.

"Cor-Ten A" is also known as ASTM A-242, which is an older specification for the current ASTM A-606 (usually for sheet under 3/16") and ASTM A-588 (usually for plate over 3/16" thickness). ASTM A-588 is also known as "Cor-Ten B" and is the more commonly encountered current spec for Cor-Ten, with a minimum yield strength of 50k psi in plates of greater thickness.

More ➥ Metal Boats For Blue Water - Kasten Marine Design, Inc.

Thanks

I guess the corten need to be sandblasted, and completely be painted inside and outside with primer, then epoxy and antifouling (only outside obviously)

Doesn't the corten has the problem that work very well in numerous dry-wet condition? not always wet neither dry (like container i knew they were made of corten steel, but rain-sun , ecc they self protect, while a hull under the water...i don't know)

Tags
sail, sailboat, steel